• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What? No Air Pump?

Obtong

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
My ‘74 MGB has no air pump! The bracket is there, but the air pump has been totally removed. Is this (or will this) be a problem?

Also, my understanding is that the air pump is related to emissions controls. If that is the case, how does it affect the timing settings? I’ve seen many specs that talk about timing for emissions and non-emissions vehicles.

Thanks for your help folks,
Obtong

chris roop

Jedi Hopeful
It's not a problem as long as the air rail holes have been filled in the head, and othr plumbing has been adequately dealt with. You can basically take a late engine back to pre-smog standards by removing and backfilling with appropriate parts.

OP
Obtong

Obtong

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Chris, do you know of a web site that shows how the conversion should have been done and if I should use pre-smog timing?

Obtong

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Obtong,

Some emission devices such as EGR (exhaust gas recirculation), retarded cam timing, PCV,& retarded ingition timing, will affect the required ignition timing & fuel mixture.

The air injection has very little to do with the required timing or carb calibration.I expect that you should use the original ignition timing.

If the car runs ok now, the proper pump elimination work has probably already been done.

D

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Obtong:

Also, my understanding is that the air pump is related to emissions controls. If that is the case, how does it affect the timing settings? I’ve seen many specs that talk about timing for emissions and non-emissions vehicles.

Thanks for your help folks,
Obtong
<hr></blockquote>

kmcormick9

i actually just took my air system out today and i happened to notice this. my vacuum line ran into the air system. should i plug this or leave it open to vent?

kmcormick9

oh and by the way in virginia, there is no real emmissions check on antiques, and in the DC area where they do check, you dont need anything if its before 75

Bret

Yoda
I believe that your 74 is exempt form any further smog testing at this point in it’s life. So with that said – I’d dump all the emissions equipment as soon as possible. Plug the air rail holes on the head and cap off any air/vacuum lines that came from the manifold to the gulp valve.

As for the settings: You should be able to use the same settings from just about any MGB manual. Matter-a-fact the procedure for late model B’s (75-80) actually has you disconnect the air manifold hose from the air pump and plug the hose, while adjusting the air fuel mixture or it will throw off your CO readings.

Bret

[ 02-24-2003: Message edited by: Bret ]</p>

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by kmcormick9:
oh and by the way in virginia, there is no real emmissions check on antiques, and in the DC area where they do check, you dont need anything if its before 75<hr></blockquote>

I'll have to assume that 25 years is the standard in most states. However here in California the over zealous (Leftist) legislators, pandered themselves to the loony environmentalists – upped the normal exemption status from 25 to 30 years.

Beginning 01/01/03 Smog Check exemptions will apply to all cars 30 years or older and will continue on a yearly aging basis. According to my math – 74 model years are now exempt, but my 78 won’t be clear until 2008!!

AHGGG! I could just spit tacks just thinking about it.

Bret

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
I've been running my '74 B without an air pump with absolutly no problems...and still use all the factory specs for tune ups. In fact, I have only ever seen one '74 B that still had the original air pump in it.

Bruce
grin.gif

A

aerog

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bret:

AHGGG! I could just spit tacks just thinking about it.
<hr></blockquote>

That's ok... once 2008 comes around they'll force the checks on cars up to 40 years old
smile.gif

chris roop

Jedi Hopeful
If you go to the mgb experience site, there should be a pic of John Weimers desmog. A good start. New here, don't know how to do links. Use the Moss catalog to get to where you want to go.

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aerog:

That's ok... once 2008 comes around they'll force the checks on cars up to 40 years old
smile.gif
<hr></blockquote>

Go ahead & laugh. But as funny as that might sound to some folks – it has an ominous ring to it.

Currently, I’m looking into some sketchy reports at this time. But it looks like there is a vary real threat of something vary similar to this in the works in northern California right now.

See the new post in Austin Healy forum by new member JJS.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000775

I’ll follow-up with more later.

Bret

kmcormick9

has anyone successfully converted their air pump into a supercharger?. just wondering....its there so its worth a try

WLJ

just to echo bruce's reply I have been running my 75
with no air pump for years.Just plug off the lines and use the factory ignition settings.
Warren
canpatriot.gif