• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cortina engine problems

basiltheblue

Freshman Member
I have a '69 Ford Cortina and though it runs it does so poorly. Its overheating far to quickly and im not sure what to do. There is also a rattling that seems to be coming from the transmission.

What can I do?

All advice is greatly appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
umm... Flush the cooling system, change out the thermostat for a 160-degree one, rod the rad, R&R the water pump... LOTS of things you ~could~ do, start with the LEAST expensive and work up.

A *bit* more information about engine type, etc. may be helpful for us to offer better (more specific) suggestions, y'know./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Tranny is a four speed, or a 'slushbox'?

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
If it runs poorly (more specifics please) the first thing I would do is test compression.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You might go by JAE in Goleta.
They sell Lotus,& Cortina parts,& Jeff knows
a lot about Cortina's.
Hope this helps.

- Doug

OP
B

basiltheblue

Freshman Member
hey thanks for all the the help! oh and the engine is a...1600GT xFlow with a 4 speed.
Ok the major problem is that the car has no power... it starts just fine... idles at about 10k with the choke fully off. Once you try and drive it has absolutely no power. when accelerating it takes a lot of power just to get it to move almost into the red. After about 10 minutes of "driving" the car wont run. It won’t start at all. we though it was out of gas but the same thing happens with about 4 gals in the tank.
Anyone know what this could be?
ANY help would be nice... if anyone needs more information let us know.
Thank you.

Oh BTW im saying WE because this is a joint project between a friend and me.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
What induction? Idle speed is a bit high. Air leaks around carb mounts? Broken/missing intake manifold take-offs?

"power" to move it into the red? Very confusing. Sounds like you mean the throttle position? Is it running a mechanical fuel pump or electric?

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Also,check your fuel line from the tank.
On one of my Cortinas,the PO had used some plastic ties
that would restrict the flow of fuel,& car would die.
Of course,you've tried replacing the fuel filter,if there's
one - (didn't come with any from the factory).

- Doug

OP
B

basiltheblue

Freshman Member
The fuel pump is mechanical... i had problems with the original and have since put a working one in. I also put in a inline clear fuel filter between the pump and the carb... i can see fuel through it when the car runs. I will check for air leaks around the carb.

After I have driven around for about 10 minuets I have to go into the "red" Or about 70,000 RPMs (I think that’s the red line) just to get the car to move.

Thank you for all your help everyone.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
heh. 7K or a turbine engine!

If you spritz WD-40 or other aerosol propelled high volitility stuff around the carb base, it will change idle speed if there's a leak. What carb is this thing running? Is this a "new" problem after it's been running fine in the past?

Check the coil for proper resistances, cold and hot after it's done the "trick" on you. It could be a coil breaking down, too.

OP
B

basiltheblue

Freshman Member
Haha 70,000 that would be something to see! yeah 7k.
Ok i will try that wd-40 thing once is stops raining.
Thanks for the tip.

This car sat for about 2 years and before that it was my sisters. She had it running but I think it always had problems. The coil sounds like something that she said is funky... any info on how to test the proper resistances?

OP
B

basiltheblue

Freshman Member
Wow that’s a sweet article! Thanks. I’m going to fix a few things and see if it works any better... Thank you for all your help.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Report back so's we know what you find!

OP
B

basiltheblue

Freshman Member
Ok Sooo... electric system checked out.
after that we moved on to the carburetor. Removed it and found lots of yellow gunk and other nasty stuff. we had a replacement carb and we put it in... then the car would start fine and idle fine but after about 2 minuets it would die and nothing would help it. sooo i called my sister who works for Dave Bean Engineering (https://www.davebean.com/)
And owns 2 Cortinas... she said it sounds like there is lots of nasty stuff in the fuel tank and line... this is our next step. Going to pull the tank and clean the line... hope it works...
Wish us luck.

Luck!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Sis works for Dave Bean?!?! Kewl! I've been buying bits from them for decades... Have Sis tell 'em she knows where one of the founding fathers of the "Western Pennsylvania Lotus Mafia" has wound up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

When I left the region there were five or six Elans in proximity because of me and another friend.

That was thirty YEARS ago!! Durn' near had to take me sox off to figger it out.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Hey just my 2 cents.. Sounds to me like the valves might be adjusted too tight.. That would cause a severe loss of power, and over heating. Pretty much the same thing if the initial timing is heavily retarded. These are not a hot running engine, in fact you could normally run without a fan and still be cool enough in every day traffic.

Too bad you're not close, these things are easier to figure out in person.

OP
B

basiltheblue

Freshman Member
ah ha!

we just took off the gas tank and it is nothing short of stunning. there was an entire beach(of rust and gunk) camped out in our fuel filter and the bottom of the tank. we drained the tank and removed the filter. we are going to take the tank to get cleansed/relined and we are buying a replacement filter. does this sound like it may be the root of some of our problems? maybe? no!!!

and yes indeed, dian, is the sister of (lucas).

we will also check the valves, thanks for the tip.