• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My first Elise sighting...

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I just saw my first Elise this week, at our local New Car Show.

Awesome looking car, and typical for Lotus nice and small.

My pictures:

110664126_594da8ea07.jpg

110664125_311308a435.jpg

It was a little hard to get a good quality picture the way it was parked in their display. And the good news... They are being sold in Canada, yay! The nearest dealer to Calgary right now is in Vancouver, but they are probably going to set up some sort of Lotus facility here in Calgary (perhaps just for servicing, perhaps for sales too, ??)

And there was a second Elise as well at an aftermarket display, this one with the hardtop

109982679_b771d89089.jpg

Now I'm looking forward to some street sightings or hopefully at some car shows around town even

My favorite color of them too. Man, I'd give ** **** *** for one. Beautiful car too. Still surprises me when someone says it looks toy-ish.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Same kinda people who'd think a wolverine was cute and try to pet it.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We can only speculate why... but from prior experience it sometimes has *something* to do with an eye-bulging experience. That and a change of underwear.

Bugeye58

Yoda
I've been told by some that the car wasn't nearly what they expected. Harsh, difficult to ingress/egress, lousy visibility, etc. All typical Lotus traits, eh? I think many were bought by speculators, who were sorely disappointed.
After driving a couple of them, I'll reserve my comments, lest I offend the Lotus gods.
Jeff

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
mehheh. Fine. I've only sat in one so far. Visibility seemed a bit better'n a Europa, less that the Elans... Typical Lotus traits indeed: "You don't so much get INTO a Lotus as you put it ON... kinda like a pair of pantyhose."

I *think* Peter Egan is responsible for that. But my synapse connections can play tricks on me.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And just what is the price? First born son. Sold.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
average *new* Elise is supposed to be in the $40K to $50K range (depending on which options you get /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). It seems the prices for the new cars have settled back into the MSRP price. I dunno what the used Elises are going for, and haven't looked yet mainly because I'm sure it'll be more than I can afford.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well, guess I could afford one but might have to get a new wife with it.

G

They are dropping pretty quick actually. You'll get one of the first for low 30s. Thing is for retail on a new one you can get a v8 Esprit which is a whole lot more car. Until you need a gearbox that is.

I haven't actually driven the US one - I drove a couple of the UK spec ones - a Series 1 and an 111s. They were a real pita to get in and out of when you have to have the top on. Which in the UK is quite often. I can't think they'll last too long on NY roads either. We have potholes you could lose one in.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
LA has "dips" (both in and ON the roads) and speed bumps that you can get air born over... even in a B...

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Now there are real speed bumps in Saudi Arabia and they don't markem. Folks stand around on the side and watch the cars fo airborne when they put in a new one.

Ben there done that with a Cadilac.

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
The Canadian price on an Elise is about $60K, the sales guy I chatted with briefly compared the Elise up against the Boxster in terms of the market segment they may be going after

D

Deleted member 3577

About time someone made a car for us chipmunk sized humans.

Can't stand the new style........Got to have the original 111s (round headlights)

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
hm... interesting... I find the newer style headlights more attractive myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

D

Deleted member 3577

[ QUOTE ]
hm... interesting... I find the newer style headlights more attractive myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Hopefully everybody does....

How else am I going to get my hands on a cheap Elise?

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Funny thing that... I made the same comment to the sales guy (that I preferred the original body style), and he told me that I was in the minority.

Having said that, they are both gorgeous cars anyway.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
this is true... I'll take any either any day...

Unfortunately, I don't think the round headlights were "street legal" in the US when they were being imported. If I'm not mistaken, the first federally street legal Elises (2004). I might be wrong about that though.

MGAdams

[ QUOTE ]

And there was a second Elise as well at an aftermarket display, this one with the hardtop

109982679_b771d89089.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry it took so long to find this post. It looks like the one I had to unload from a trailer in Regina to put in a Mallock in front and then send them both on their way to Calgary.
feb24_06_0006.sized.jpg

feb24_06_0009.sized.jpg

Mike