• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Driving the 07 Camry

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
We got our first 07 Camry at work today.
All new, very restyled. I got to do the Pre-delivery inspection, which requires a test drive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Well I gotta say, that is a nice car.
Peppy, crisp, nicely trimmed. I'm not overly fond of the styling, but it's the newest trend.
I got a kick outta driving around in a car that most people haven't even seen yet, and being the first person in our dealership, heck, whole town, that's had a chance to drive one.
They're gonna sell like mad. It's as nice as the last generation Avalons were.
Sorry, I don't often get braggin rights. I just had to share /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

I just read the first drive impression in the new R&T on the new Camry. I gotta admit, it's a huge step up in styling over the old car, which was a snoozer IMO. Granted the've been comfortable, reliable transportation for many years, but not very inspiring to look at, conservative to a fault. The old car fit my description of an applicance more than almost any other car. My inlaws have an 03 and they love it, but they're not "car people".

Only thing that bugs me on the new car is the front end, looks alot like the nose on the Mazda 6 to me. Top end V6 option gets like 250 horse, something like that? At least it'll be able to get out of it's own way.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I find the grill to be .... Chrysleresque....

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I don't like the rear styling, but it gets the Avalon's 265hp V6...in the Avalon, it's 0-60 in 6.5seconds. (Jaguar S-Type 4.0 fast.)

It's better overall than any Chevy, Ford, Pontiac, Mercury or Chrysler sedan product.

Bret

Yoda
Not a fan of the Camry – but it’s styling seems to be a vast improvement over the previous generation. Rented many of the old style Camry’s and wasn’t impressed at all.

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I drive these things day in and day out. I definatly think Toyotas are "appliance" vehicles. they are very nice, reliable, tight, and quiet. But I've felt they don't have much soul. The camry especially. It's really a generic car. But the new one really has some character. I really like the new dash, and it handles nicely.
I agree that the styling is edgy. I think the emblem on the front end looks like its melting off the hood and onto the grille. and the weird bodyline along the edge of the trunk instantly makes me think of the old Lincolns with that "contenintal" spare tire trunk lid. It definatly looks better with the lip spoiler on the trunk.
Im anxiously awaiting the FJ cruiser. Finally a Toyota with real character.
Of course the Scion XB is my current favorite.
"toaster on wheels" but somehow they're cool.

I like my 4Runner, and it has character. But Yes, it's our appliance vehicle (or was/will be again). But it (was/will be) is our least used vehicle. Only for vaction/trips and family outings. But it does have character - it's sneering at me at the moment... But after I touch it's insides, it'll know who's boss around here - hehehehe.

Bret

Yoda
Appliance vehicles is right. I’ve got my own reasons for not buying Toyotas but have tracked their products with some interest over the years. I remember about 8 or 10 years ago I was looking for a basic little PU truck. Nothing too flashy but something I wouldn’t be ashamed to be seen in either.

I started with the new Ford Ranger having owned an 88 that even with it’s little four banger & 5-speed seemed almost bullet proof. However to be fair I did look at all the major players in that segment. So it wasn’t long before I had a look at the little Toyota PU and boy let me tell you what a disappointment. Oh sure it had Toyota’s track rack record for dependable trouble free vehicles but that was it. It was priced about two to three grand ($$$$) above its competitors and had absolutely zero options nothing styling-wise to get excited about. That & for the same amount of money, I could get a top of the line fully loaded Ranger with a V6! Sorry but for me that was a clear Toyota 0, Ford 2 in that little contest.

But yes I too am looking forward to their FJ Cruiser. Admittedly not the most stylish vehicle I’ve ever seen but it has a rather rugged persona with unquestionably hansom good looks & seems quite capable. Things that a truck guy like me find pleasing. I predict the FJ should far rather well in its segment.

As for the Scion XB? Sorry if this offends but there’s a vehicle that looks as if it was pinned by the folks at Frigidair®. I swear the first time I ever saw one in person I automatically started looking for the recessed bottle opener like you still find on vending machines even though they might only sell canned sodas.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
oh but 4Runners have much more potential than what yer giving it... with some modest modifications (primarily 'upgrading' to locking differentials, and minor suspension alterations) you could have an off-roader to be reckoned with! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
They should build a vehicle like the early- mid 70's Land -Cruiser.
I remember when Toyotas were good value + upgaded basic transportation.

- Doug

Early mid 70's land cruiser was a series 1 (or 2) range rover copy.

And yes my 4runner is very upgradeable, but first I have to replace the faulty headgasket in the 3.slow.

It's really not that bad of a vehicle, but mine is over 10 years old, and just over 125,000 miles. If you want or have one, be prepared, you'll need to replace the water pump, the head gaskets, a couple of the idler pulleys, the timing belt (don't worry if it breaks do all of the above when you fix it - it's a non-interference engine)...

And when you do the head gasket... replace the knock sensor.

It'll be good for another 125,000 miles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

And mine looks like it just came off the showroom floor.

Much more than just basic transportation.

But it should tow my (yet to see water under my ownership) sailboat to the lake nicely this spring/summer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]
As for the Scion XB? Sorry if this offends but there’s a vehicle that looks as if it was pinned by the folks at Frigidair®.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif I think this years model has the optional ice maker in the door.

I'm still on the fence about the FJ. When I was a kid my dad was into 4 wheeling pretty heavily, he used to build first gen Broncos, we had two with 289 HiPo transplants. Anyway one of his friends had a FJ land cruiser, he lived a few houses down from us. I always thought it was a cool little truck, very rugged and it seemed to be able to keep up pretty well with the Broncs and Jeeps in the rough stuff. I'm hoping the new one captures a little of that and doesn't end up being just a poser.

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I love the little XB but noone is going to offend me (and probably most of the owners) by calling it a refrigerator on wheels.
They are .
The first black one we got in, I asked if it cost an extra $50 to get it that color (my Fridge did)
and every white one I see I want to put a Frigidare emblem on the fender.
But for some reason I love 'em.
You really have to drive one to appreciate it.
It's got 3X the room inside that you'de think.
I'm 6'1" and I can sit in the back seat, with the front seat ALL the way back and I still have room for my knees.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
they have a certain amount of 'personality' in them that the average car doesn't have... while I may view it as a shoe box on wheels I'd take one over a Honda Element any day... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
they have a certain amount of 'personality' in them that the average car doesn't have... while I may view it as a shoe box on wheels I'd take one over a Honda Element any day... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm? I’m reminded of what Bill Cosby once said when telling one of his stories about a debate on the merits of putting coke up one’s nose.

Basically the guy arguing the case with Bill in favor of Cocaine use stated that; “it (coke) enhances your personality”.

To wit Bill replied: “But what if you’re an A$$hole?” /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Banjo Wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
It's got 3X the room inside that you'de think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda a rolling Tardis, then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

A friend brought one around here on a test drive Sunday... WITH the salesguy aboard. It was (IMO) "utilitarian". CERTAINLY better looking than the Element... but that's kinda like sayin': "Green Zone, it's two kliks better'n bein' in DOWNTOWN Baghdad." BLECH.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I keep hearing that Toyotas, especially Camrys and Avalons, have no "personality" or "soul." But does anyone actually believe that an Impala, Malibu, Freestar, Five Hundred, Montego, or even a 300 (aside from just its looks -- actually in driving) have soul?

I have many cars oozing with personality and soul...my feeling is that it's nice to have a quiet, nice, comfy sedan that can be an appliance when I need it, and blow by a Ferrari 308 GTSi when I need it...that's why I have an Avalon on order!

Bret

Yoda
I’ve actually owned & driven many vehicles over the years and have varying points of view on them all. But when the subject of applying a “personality” (good or bad) to a motor vehicle comes up, my personal list would be long & sorted before any sedan would be mentioned.

Sorry but most sedans especially those we find on the market today – aren’t really bad, nor are they good – just plain vanilla. Probably explains why SUVs & Trucks gobble up such a large share of the market place.