• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Chevy in flood

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
The interior looks very clean for a water damaged vehicle.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
It's actually easy to make a car seem in pictures (or even in real life) to look like it was never in a flood. I could have easily cleaned my '99 Corvette and '59 TR3 to the point nobody could have seen any visible issues.

It's the smell, and the affect on electrics...as well as all that water trapped in corners.

You can actually have a lot of water in a car and be below the dashboard. We had two feet of water in Houston, and it didn't reach the dash on the TR3. It was over the seat bottoms, though everytime there was a wave that rushed through.(When somewhere in the neighborhood, someone would drive a huge truck through!)

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
What colour was the interior before the flood? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I wouldn't touch that thing with a 10 ft. pole.
You could be chasing problems,& rust, forever.

- Doug

OP
Bruce Bowker

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't touch that thing with a 10 ft. pole.
You could be chasing problems,& rust, forever.

- Doug

[/ QUOTE ]

No intention of buying. Just trying to see if it is a scam.

swift6

Yoda
I know someone that bought a flooded car a few years ago. Knew it going in. The car looked fine until you looked up at the ceiling to the dome light. It was still full of water, the cleaning crew completely missed it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, at least they said it was damamged by Katrina...anybody who buys it is buying years of trouble!

G

Why would anyone trying to scam you tell you the car is a salvage write off with flood damage? I mean that really wont act as an incentive to bid higher...

OP
Bruce Bowker

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
Why would anyone trying to scam you tell you the car is a salvage write off with flood damage? I mean that really wont act as an incentive to bid higher...

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite simple. First of all scammers act in all kinds of ways. Thinking one is getting what could be perhaps a $50,000 car because it has some water damage that can not in any way be seen in the picture. Same old deal - try to make people think they are getting a lot more than they are paying. And in all these true scams, the car is not owned by or has it ever been seen by the scammer.

I asked the seller where the car was and he would not tell me. That leans towards a scam but he did say look at the address on the auction. A lot of words instead of just saying. Scammers usually tell you the car is somewhere other than the listed location so when the seller won't say exactly where...??? I would have said where the car was instead of that but perhaps it is legitimate. Just a strange way of replying which makes me skepitcal.

G

I don't agree.

If you can't see any damage, no scammer on earth is going to tell you that the thing they are punting - owned or not - has issues.

They'll come up with a sob story about selling it for an aged relative/old friend/tax bill or similar. They are not going to put something in the ad that will put off potential buyers.

My 2c. Oh and did you think that the guy was p****d off with stupid questions. He gives all his contact info in the ad.

I know if I was selling something and I had my address, phone number and "This vehicle may be viewed at the location at the top of this ad", and then someone sent me an email out of the blue saying "where is the car", I might be a little short with them too.