• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Freelander.....

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Wife's little Landy is now out of warranty......just before it expired, the heater core took a leak, taking out the blower motor in the same action, the lid of the centre console broke off, and the windshield cracked (no impact). Thankfully, these were taken care of under the warranty, but now we are rather nervous to say the least. Plus the model is now discontinued.......looks like we're going to trade it!

G

How many computers did you get through. We did three in the first 18 months...

G

It went out every time the temp went below 20F - which was a problem since we went to Vt every weekend to snowboard. First symptom was the display on the radio going funny.

I must be a glutton for punishment - I swapped it for an 04 Disco. That's not exactly an electricians dream either. At least I get free servicing though...

G

I really liked the V70R when I drove it. I got the Disco because the guy in the Volvo dealer was a being a dick. I would have walked out with a V70R off the lot, but he wanted retail and lowballed the tradein. I was annoyed with the Freelander and the LR dealer after it's 24k service, so it had to go.

The LR dealer (a different one to the one we bought the Freelander from and who did the service - that was LR Manhattan, who I would recommend steering well clear of) was next door, offered me a good price and a good trade on the Freelander so we ended up with the Disco. 4 years service included closed the deal. We've took a real hit on the depreciation though.

The Audis are nice - I like the S4s, S8s and Allroads, but the electrics are an issue (according to the owners I spoke to who don't lease). Everyone I know who's had one has had trouble soon after the warranty period expired one way or another. Small sample size though so don't take it as writ.

We have a VW Beetle that has been trouble free in two years - it replaced a 98 that was dreadful though (wife likes Beetles).

The next car is going to be a wagon. For sure. Unless I can talk her into a minivan - I like the Town and Country. Two dogs no kids...

OP
Steve

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I have a wagon, a BMW 525i, and I love it. Very versatile, reliable, handles like a .......well, a BMW. My wife won't drive a wagon, but she likes SUVs, go figure.

G

Its an image thing. Mine hates minivans - soccer mom thing - I think they are great. I'd rather have one than an SUV any day.