• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Well, we made 10 pages!!

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
We got a garage built for Kim and lots of other stuff!! Now back to MG's!!
grin.gif
thirsty.gif
yesnod.gif
So Basil, was it a record??

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You know, perhaps we should restrain ourselves from starting new threads with idle banter. I'd hate to discourage people looking for actual MG advice and info from using the forum . . .

After all, this USED to be a good, straightforward board before we kidnapped it!
blush.gif

Henri

Jedi Knight
Country flag
You know, perhaps we should restrain ourselves from starting new threads with idle banter.

I think what Kim is trying to say...is take the banter into the "chat" rooms...
cheers.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you can get in the chat rooms!

A

aerog

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chuck Cougill:
what's an MG?
crazy.gif
<hr></blockquote>

Chuck, you sound like the typical DMV/tag office employee, but they usually say "You mean GM?"
grin.gif

G

not from me. no sir, not from me
thirsty.gif
cheers.gif

[ 01-30-2003: Message edited by: Chuck Cougill ]</p>

G

I think we will get locked out again if we do, although I don't understand why this would be a major bandwidth user, may Basil will explain this to me. I think the pics in our sigs and of members cars would use a ton more. Actually, only very few of us read alll of that, but it did give us a reason to come here, which is what I understand is the program here

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chuck Cougill:
I think we will get locked out again if we do, although I don't understand why this would be a major bandwidth user, may Basil will explain this to me. I think the pics in our sigs and of members cars would use a ton more. Actually, only very few of us read alll of that, but it did give us a reason to come here, which is what I understand is the program here<hr></blockquote>
One post probably is not a big bandwidth concern, but if I don't maintain some reasonable control, every forum here would eventually turn into one giant free-for-all and that WOULD be a bandwidth concern. But bandwidth is only part of the concern. I have the BCF divided into forums for a reason - so as to allow the discussions to focus on specific topics (or in this case, marques). Thus, someone new coming into the MG forum would (I think reasonably) expect the posts to have something to do with MGs. As Kim pointed out, I don't want to discourage new members from participating in the BCF because they see a lot of clutter. I don't expect that all posts will be techncal either - general chit-chat about, in this case, MGs is fine. And I don't try to micro-manage every reply to every post, but posts that are completely off the topic of the particular forum really only serve to clutter things up. I do provide several other non marque-specific forums for other discussions, such as humor, events, tools, and I even have a "free-for-all" forum where you can discuss just about anything. I also have a chat room where you can chat about just about anything.

I have been on forums with both extremes - some where anything goes in any forum at any time, and others where the moderators would kill a post at the slightest provocation. I have tried to strike a reasonable balance between these two extremes. In fact, I could count on one hand the number of times I've closed a post. It doesn't happen very often. Now, compare that to a post I made recently on the Miata forum (and no, I'm not knocking that forum). I don't even remember what it was - a little christmas joke I think - but it wasn't "auto related." Well, my post didn't last 10 minutes before the moderator killed it.

Bottom line: I'm not trying to be unreasonable, and I'm sorry if some might think that I am, but I do want to try to keep the various forums at least somewhat focused on their respective topics. I hope folks can respect that. It is my honest goal to build a forum that everyone who loves little British cars will enjoy and want to participate in. But I know that no matter how I structure the place, or what rules I do or don't have, I will never please everyone.

Basil

[ 01-31-2003: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

G

Basil, I don't think anyone feels that you are unreasonable. In fact, I aggree with you wholeheartedly. Every once in a while, you just have to reel people in and set some boundries or things will get out of control fast. BTW, it is great to have a fourum that is visited by other LBC lovers. Many thanks!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by gmasterman:
Basil, I don't think anyone feels that you are unreasonable. In fact, I aggree with you wholeheartedly. Every once in a while, you just have to reel people in and set some boundries or things will get out of control fast. BTW, it is great to have a fourum that is visited by other LBC lovers. Many thanks!<hr></blockquote>

Thanks Gerry,
I do try to allow some lattitide, but every now and then, the cats need to be herded
shocked.gif

A

aerog

And just another comment to suppliment Basil's on the bandwidth issue.

For the exception of just a few photos and the member's gallery, most all pictures shown here either in message content or in sig-lines are stored external of the BCF server. In other words they don't take up any BCF disk space or bandwidth.

Hope that clarifies the bandwidth issue a little
smile.gif

G

I know that. I host most of the MG sigs and am providing that bandwidth

OP
G

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
Thanks Basil!! I really like this forum for the reasons you mentioned!! Chuck, Mowog and I do tend to joke around, sometimes I tease Tony, but Kim always straightens us out
square.gif
and I am sorry we led Henri astray!!
grin.gif
Seeing as how he drives a Healey, I am sure that this doesn't happen often!!
lol.gif
!! Seriously, keep up the good work!! Are you coming to the the garage raising for Kim??