• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

bumper alterations/soft top problems

G

Good morning, I've just joined your site, and would like to post a couple of questions. I own a 74 mgb, with the rubber bumber extensions. I am debating converting the bumber to all chrome. I understand that there is a conversion kit, (ie pull the 4 black pads and replace with chrome caps). Has anyone tried this conversion before, and was it successful in their opinion?
2. When I fold the soft top down (as per the manual)I find it sits approximately 2-3 inches above the car, consequently the cover for it cann't be completely snapped down. The manual on the other hand show the top to be below the car rails, nicely rolled up and strapped in. I am obviously missing something here, this especially becomes an issue when I put my rollbar in. Does anyone have any hints or other techniques on rolling the top up. Taking it off isn't really an option.
Thanks hope to hear from you soon
Don

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Don, welcome to the forum! I can't help you with the first question I'm afraid, but as regards your soft top, it sounds as if the frame may be stiff. Maybe a little WD-40 sprayed on the pivot points would help? I had a '79 with a new roof and frame (that I wish I had kept) that had this problem, but I put that down to it being non-factory. My '80 car is better but still not perfect.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Hi Don and welcome to the Forum ;-))

I have a 74B and have the same problem, but I have found that by folding the top exactly as described in the Manual it works. Be sure to fold the side window in tighly before folding the top. If you have a solid bar anchor on the top, be sure that the little vinyl tabs on the end of the bar are not sliding off (as mine were when I had your problem) preventing the folding of the side windows. Pull the top out over the trunk and fold the frame in, THEN PULL THE WINDOW UNDER THE FRAME before you roll he rest of the top on top of the frame, putting the headerin front of the frame as tightly as possible. It takes some practice (nice thing to do on a winer day in a warm garage) and is difficult in cold weather...but it does fit under my tonneau bar then ;-)) GOOD LUCK!

Bruce

OP
G

Don, I'm in the midst of a chrome bumper conversion and while it is not an unbolt and bolt project it can be done with a minimum of body work. a site that tells all is Chrome bumper conversion and no, I don't know where to purchase the rear conversion brackets, I'm either gonna make em myself or get GEM Enterprises to add them to their product list

bryan h

Don, I converted my 76 to chrome,(pictures can be seen in members rides at this site,its the black B under bryan heidtman). The three main areas of concern are the 2 front rails that have to be shortened, the front turn lamps, and the rounded piece beneath the rear lamps. I cut and welded shut the front rails, hung new cb front fenders,and my bodyman used modelers styrofoam as a template for the rounded rear piece, then made the part and grafted it in. This piece on my car is seamless, which (I think) looks better. I've since wondered if the rb front turnlamp could be reused and what it would look like. Since Cougill is in the process maybe he has some thoughts on this?

OP
G

Bryan, the front turn lamps can be used but must be moved slightly. Check the site mentioned above. I was fortunate enough to find a parts car that had fiberglass C/B fenders on it, and with a bit of fiberglass work, I am going to use them, so the lights won't be a big issue. The fillers that go under the rear taillights are available from Vicky Brit, I don't have the part number in front of me, but they are about $12 each. I doubt you could find a body guy to make them that cheaply. one problem may be finding a good set of chrome bumpers at a reasonable price, as I don't hear good things about the quality of the aftermarket pieces available. Another option is the sebring look, but again the quality of the rear valances available is allegedly lacking. I am waiting to see how Tony Barnhill or his body guy fashions one out of 2 midget rear valances. Basically it's not a terribly hard project, if you do your homework and round up all your parts in advance
savewave.gif

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: Chuck Cougill ]</p>

Ractr6

Country flag
Hi Don
I have a fair amout of equipment at my house and will be more than happy to help you.

I think I can talk Rob into lending you his wire wheels for a while if you promise to give them back when his MGBGT is back on the road. I think the spindles are a straight bolt on to your drums. (Hey gang, is there any watch out for's when switching from steel rims to wires?).
hammer.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Welcome Don!

Some of the other fellows may have missed the point that your car is a '74.....as such, it's *already* a chrome bumper car (but with the black rubber pads on the bumperettes).

I assume it looks like this car:

https://www.mgcars.org.uk/pics/congdon74b.jpg

And you'd like to make it look like this car:

https://www.mgcars.org.uk/pics/kevinfront.jpg

I recall a friend who swapped an early chrome bumper with a newer chrome bumper..everything looked the same except the bumperettes. I'd guess you could pick up the older all-chrome bumperettes at a swap meet and install them pretty easy. As for removing the black rubber stips and installing a chrome insert plate.......I haven't seen this, I'm not sure I'd choose to do it...probably look better (to me) if left as is.

As for getting the top down all the way, as stated above, the "trick" is in tight folding (easier when it's warm out).

OP
G

the spindles are a straight bolt in but the rear differentials are a different width. The steel wheel version is wider and the rear tires might rub on the rear fenders

bryan h

Ditto on all that typing, I caught the 74 thing as soon as I posted. My rereply would be to delete the overrider completely, as I did. I think the look is nice and streamlined. Anyway, good luck on your project. Cougill, in regards to bumpers, I bought the kit from Moss, front and rear, and they worked fine. I put 3 coats of carnauba on them and they look pretty darn good, much better than rubber.

OP
G

I've heard the chrome on them doesn't last. but I guess that would be dependant on how they were cared for

bryan h

Cougill, time will tell, The bumpers have been on for 2 years now, still look great.(But I admit, I tend to be overzealous when it comes to polish).

Ractr6

Country flag
I will measure the diff befor we attempt to put the wire wheels on. Don will not be happy if they do not fit.

On a diffrent note, what is the typical cost for re-covering a set of seats including new foam?....Don and I are going to enter into negotiations with a local shop to get both of our cars done.
confused.gif

OP
G

Oops,sorry I guess I wasn't specific enough. Yes the car is a 74&1/2, with full chrome bumper except for the two extensions front and back. I am only trying to remove the extensions and as I understood there was a product that enable me to replace them with chrome.
2. Thank you for the info on the top, unfortunately I have tried everything already mentioned except for Bruce74's idea. So hopefully that will work for me. As I didn't buy the frame for the top, I wonder now if it may even be the wrong one for my car? Or maybe as the top was also new maybe it wasn't put on correctly by the previous owner. I just know it doesn't fold and stow away correctly.

John S Farrington

Jedi Warrior
In reference to switching from steel wheels to wires, is the recipient an MGA oran MGB? I have been through the issue of swapping this out on an MGA and tdheonly solution, which is expensive, is to swap the entire differential with the wheels. There is a width difference in the differentials and no conversion kits exist tdomy knowledge. I have exchanged steel for wires on my MGB by using the Moss conversion kit for the rear wheels. The front spindles may be easily swapped from steel lugs to wire spindles having splines by using used or new parts. The rear conversion must either use the entire differential from a wire wheel car, since it is of different width, or use the Moss conversion parts for the rear conversion to splines. The part mounts on the original seel wheel lugs and offers a spline mount. I made such a conversion a few years ago and it has worked fine ever since.
Best regards,

William

Darth Vader
Are you sure that the soft top frame is not out of alignment somewhere? Ours is out of true and has broken scissors links, so it is a two person job to fold it up, just to keep everything in line. And that's still no guarantee.
-Wm.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Hey, it’s fun to be right once in a while!

For some reason, I think *all* ’74 Calif. MGBs were RB…..the rest of US switched to RB in ’74 ½ (anyone else heard this?).

Here’s an actual page on changing the bumperettes that Don’s talking about:

https://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/techtips/108.html

While we’re at it, here’s my page on CB conversion of my Midget (although it’s presently running “fenders au natural”)

https://npmccabe.tripod.com/mgbumpers.htm

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
What kind of top frame do you have? They are interchangeable on all year Bs, so you can't have the wrong one for your car. But that doesn't mean maybe the top wasn't fitted correctly.

I've got one of the later-model "Michelotti" frames, and even when I fold it up correctly, it does stick up a bit when rolled. The tonneau cover does not fit over it perfectly flat at the rear. You say yours sticks up 2-3 inches, and I'd guess mine might stick up that much too sometimes

Maybe the problem is that your tonneau cover (if that's what you're working with) has shrunk? If you have a photo of it on the car, that might help.