• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Protection

kbash

Jedi Trainee
Well I bought a car alarm for my car. After people cut my gas lines, took apart my carb." In school day, in the parking lot in day light" I decide it was a good investment.
I've and Ryan and the rest of you have but to much time and energy in to this to let some stupid high school class mate F it up again.

gotta be jealous classmates... I leave mine for hours in public parkinglots unlocked with Craftsman toolboxes in plain view. I have yet to have anything come up missing.

OP
kbash

kbash

Jedi Trainee
About $400 in damage total.

wrenchpuller

Yes some people just make a person sick. Took our B into Terrace about 40ml away last fall. Nice day for a run, trying to rain so top up. Left it in mall parking lot, about 1 hour. Came back to find some **!!%* had enjoyed themselves and poked 3 holes through the top. I can almost imagine them " nice car, but they leak Ha ha". Makes a person mad don't it. I should think about an alarm.
Cheers Ric

I'm not sure any car alarm would help against the top vandalism. And how many times have you called the cops when you heard one going off? People just don't care about car alarms going off anymore. Some even consider them to be a nuisance. Theifs and vandals would just laugh at them. robbing your car while telling passersby that they don't know why they can't get it turned off - must be some messed up wiring.

Sorry, but unless you've lojacked your car (and the car itself is stolen), nobody pays any attention. Good luck finding out who did the damage.

That's my take on car alarms. I had one back-15 years ago. And nobody cared about it then either.

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Vandals suck. Messing with someone’s car should be a death penalty offence. I was lucky in HS and no one messed with my car. But I did have a few freinds have there vehicles trashed. One with a nice karman Gia (SP) had every panel kicked in. Another friend who had a nice 42 willy’s Jeep flipped. Hopefully karma will catch up to the bastards that are doing stuff to your car.

You might want to figure out a way to run a lock to the hood latch. It may seem a little getto but a cheap bike lock will more than likely stop them from getting in.

By the way watch out for WD 40 on the brakes and loose lug nuts.

D

Deleted member 3577

[ QUOTE ]

By the way watch out for WD 40 on the brakes and loose lug nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

GOOD IDEA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif.....Never can tell with morons like that.

Many schools have had the same sort of problem & have resorted to placing video cameras.

now theres an idea! those tiney wireless cams are fairly cheap and then you have proof of who and when.

mark

JoshP

Jedi Trainee
When I was in HS, I parked next to a guy driving a Spitfire. This particular car had more rust than paint per capita, but was apparently a rolling resto. It was cool; I felt better parking next to him than any of the other 'nice' cars in the lot. He wouldn't be kicking the doors open or slamming into me.

One day, I came out to the lot and he's standing behind his car and my truck. Looking closer, I saw that the back bumper of his car was wedged in between my bumper and the truck bed. In other words, he wasn't leaving until I did. He accused me of doing it!

I had to explain to him, in no uncertain terms, that 150-pound me could not in any way, shape or form, lift the back of a Spitfire and drag it. For that matter, the now 190-pound me with a bit more muscle on the frame couldn't begin to do it.

That's when we heard several football players start cackling...idiotas.

LLAngus

Jedi Knight
I was lucky in HS. I was in the FFA and we were a large chapter. If one of the guy's cars got messed with the perp was "invited" out ot the pig farm.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Worked for a short time in a steel mill near PGH., Made the judgement error of driving my GTV to work on a 12 (midnight) to 8 shift... following morning my GTV had a size 12 MillRat steel toe shoeprint inna passenger door, well indented. Had a couple suspects, no proof... but there were a few other "odd" vehicle related occurrances after that, most of 'em involved the suspects vehicles, most of 'em expensive to repair.

"Who, ME??? Naaah..." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

OP
kbash

kbash

Jedi Trainee
Laugh, No. Pig farm to messy. If I ever found out who did it, well I'm German, Irish,Brit.
I should I do have a camera that i put in the garge when I leave for a while. Put that in my car, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Kinda goes with life, but then hanging is too good.

By all means a locking gas tank cap ahd hood. Or at least a hidden latch of some kind.

Or even leave good car at home when you are going to be away from it all day. No school busses in your area?

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
gotta be jealous classmates... I leave mine for hours in public parkinglots unlocked with Craftsman toolboxes in plain view. I have yet to have anything come up missing.

[/ QUOTE ]
It ain't American, they ain't touchin it.
And they probably falsely assume the tool box is filled with "them usless metric tools"

Actually even if they stole the tools, they probably wouldn't work on most common cars today - including the american ones!

OP
kbash

kbash

Jedi Trainee
My tools, cheap yes are locked in the trunk with my other stuff.

Mine are expensive (craftsman), but unfortunately not locked up. I guess I really need to though.

OP
kbash

kbash

Jedi Trainee
I'm saving for my good set.

OP
kbash

kbash

Jedi Trainee
Drillign the holes tonight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif