• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Allard P1

• Thread starter Deleted member 3577
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3577

I have never seen one before.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1951-ALLA...1QQcmdZViewItem

53_1.jpg

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I don't think many people have ever seen an Allard P1... I have seen an Allard M-Type drophead coupe that lives in Ontario.

Really, any Allard is a rare sighting.

Speaking of Allard's, I took this picture back in 2001 I think, of an Allard GT, was told by the owner that it was the last car produced by the company, back in 1958...

1999570_b3ea3fc020.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sherlock77/1999570/

OP
D

Deleted member 3577

I think the XK 120 type cars are very stylish, even though they are a bit before my time. Kind of Grace Kelly/Audrey Hepburn-ish.........Dignified yet sporty

Aston Martin DB1
std_1949_aston_martin_db1_convertib.jpg

Healey Abbott
std_healey-abbott.jpg

AC 2 liter
std_195x_ac_2litre_-1.jpg

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
It's actually called an Allard P (not really a P1 -- there was a P2, though.) The most important thing about an Allard P (other than that it is arguable the ugliest Allard made,) was that Sydney Allard won the Monte Carlo Rally in one -- beating Stirling Moss. This was the only time in the Monte's history that a person won in a car of his own construction.

Other than that, yes, I saw that one on Ebay, and even asked some questions of its owner. Not really a desirable Allard, but interesting -- that is if you can get over that nasty bodywork!!!

Wow, that Allard GT looks an awful lot like an AC Ace with an E-type roof on it. I like it. I'd own any of the cars pictured so far on this thread.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I don't have any record of an Allard GT, but it looks like a Palm Beach II with a hardtop, which would make more sense, because a 1959 Palm Beach II would be Allard's last car.

OP
D

Deleted member 3577

I am going to do some more research on these vehicles.

what the car does not possess in beauty.....It more than makes up for in historical significance.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
You might visit Jim Boffo in New Brighton, Dave. Not certain, but I think his dad had an Allard for a while. He did have an AC Ace for sure and brother Tom had a 427 Cobra 'till around '77. Sold it to Tony Hogg IIRC.

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have any record of an Allard GT, but it looks like a Palm Beach II with a hardtop, which would make more sense, because a 1959 Palm Beach II would be Allard's last car.

[/ QUOTE ]

The World's Racing and Sports Cars by Douglas Armstrong (pub in 1958 in the UK, 1959 in the US) lists the Palm Beach Mark II and "Gran Turismo" models as current. The GT pictured clearly has Palm Beach bodywork from the windshield forward.

I've seen this car (or its twin) race many times in vintage events & it's extremely quick. I'm sure the VSCCA website has more shots of it. The book I mentioned above lists available engines as a Jag or Ford Zodiac 6 cyl but I think the GT pictured has a Chrysler or DeSoto V8. Allard used American V8's in quite a few of his cars.

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Allard used American V8's in quite a few of his cars.

[/ QUOTE ]
One local Allard owner has one with that first OHV Cadillac V-8 and, because it is a roadster, no top. He completed the Rallye Glenwood Springs last year in both rain and, on top of Tennessee Pass, snow, with just a leather helmet and googles for weather protection. Now that's real dedication to "British" motoring! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Allard has had a frame-off restoration, but the owner believes in driving his collection--a M-B gullwing, a 1950s Ferrari, several classic Corvettes, etc. So the Allard is also a show winner, generally in the "Other British" or "Sports Race Car" category.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
@MGA Steve

Some people... I just wish I could afford a collection like that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

@SammyB & Coldplugs

Re: Allard GT/Palm Beach II

My understanding is that after 1955 Allard production was extremely low, that car may well be a Palm Beach II but with production being so low it doesn't necessarily matter what you really call it.

I took that picture at Mosport, at the VARAC vintage racing event during 2001, only saw the Allard one time there, wish I had gotten a better picture and that was back before I got good camera gear, I only got my good camera gear here in Alberta after my move /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif (Alberta... place where hardly any neat old import cars reside)

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
I just wish I could afford a collection like that... (Alberta... place where hardly any neat old import cars reside)

[/ QUOTE ]
You and me both. And you could throw in a real (not clone) 289 Cobra and a '62 Vette for good measure! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

If you want to look at some rust-free old cars, just make the "short" trip to Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona. Just get on I-25 and head south (at least you don't have any mountain passes to cross to get here).

You could even contact "frankenstang" on the BCF--he is always roaming junk yards and barns in northern Colorado and finding new prizes--Spitfires, Jensen-Healeys, 429 Torinos, etc., etc. He has then turned a couple of them into fire-breathing, small-block V-8-equipped cars that have done quite well in past $2000 GRM Challenge competition.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
Allard used American V8's in quite a few of his cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most Allards J2s bound for the US were delivered with no engines at all. This is mostly due to the lack of availability of metal and parts in Britain in the post-war era. The chassis was designed to fit big V8s.

My father was big into racing in the 50s and 60s, and he had many friends who owned Allards. All of them simply installed Cad engines when the cars made it to the states. DeSoto baby hemis were also fairly common, although they tended to require more rebuilds and were more expensive.
There are a few around with the Ardun conversion, but these are rare and expensive.