• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Driving my friend Dave's 88 Turbo Esprit...

G

As a seasoned poster on the Triumph forum, I had to venture over to the Lotus site to share with you all an exhilarating experience that I had this weekend. Down here in South Louisiana, you don't see very many Lotus Esprits. My friend David Hayden, over in Erath, La., is a helicopter mechanic by trade and a professed British car nut. He is good at both. David acquired a 1988 Esprit Turbo last year with an engine and transmission totally turned out. Had it trucked in from Oregon. Dave COMPLETELY disassembled the engine and tranny and did a star-rated job of rebuilding the Lotus, and this weekend he let me drive it. As a dyed-in-the-wool TR6 owner I was impressed! That sucker can run!
Got back into my 6 for the long drive home, in the rain, and smiled the whole way. My first real driving experience in one of "your" cars left me fulfilled, to say the least.
As an aside, Dave has completed a TR3, TR4, TR6, Europa, Esprit, is starting his TR8 and will next do his Mini Cooper. David is my go-to guy for advice and toys. Thanks for the ride, Dave.

Bill

OP
G

All I can say is I hope it's cheaper on parts than my friends 98 V8 was. He's in the UK, and had it for 3 years (00-03). He spent over 50% of the cost of the car again in parts - and nothing "major" really went wrong.

He got rid of it finally when they told him that he'd have to get a gearbox from a Renault 25 at a breakers because there were no more Lotus boxes left, if his ever went.

It was a fun drive though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
They have never been ~easy~ cars to own, but Hooo Boy are they FUN cars. Glad you got a chance to experience the marque for yourself! Hard to describe that to someone who's not had it.

OP
G

Actually he's been hankering after another one ever since he got rid of it. Then again he was talking about the S1 Elise with the supercharged S2000 engine (300hp) at Maidstone Sportscars too.

I've been trying to steer him towards a TVR but he's not interested - he put down a deposit on a 997 instead. They're nice (I had a 996) but given my druthers I'd be after something a bit wilder.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B MGB while driving engine cuts out if I let off or push more throttle it comes right back on MG 5
wkilleffer MGB MGB clutch slave bleed driving me nuts MG 38
K TR2/3/3A Mystery clunking and banging from rear of car when driving over rough road or bumps? Triumph 14
K TR2/3/3A Thermostat for hot summer driving? Triumph 1
S Spridget Mountain Driving Tour : Mid-Atlantic Spridgets 8
6 Seeking 1967 MGB roadster in good driving condition MG Classifieds 3
T Powertrain locked up three times whilst driving today - anyone have thoughts? Spridgets 15
T how to have music/radio when driving Spridgets 33
C How to install Stone Guards on driving lights? Austin Healey 7
C Wiring for two front Driving Lights? Austin Healey 22
maxwedge5281 Driving Lights [picture posting opportunity!] Austin Healey 25
H driving dog [gear] for distributor? Austin Healey 17
J Anybody driving a 2018 Jaguar XJ? Jaguar 3
jdubois GT6 Driving the mainshaft bearing into the gearbox case. Triumph 5
T 100/6 vs 3000 driving experiences Austin Healey 71
Jim_Gruber Thoughts on driving Bugsy with the hardtop installed. Spridgets 32
R Winter Driving Austin Healey 24
Gerald_Gordon TR4/4A Preferred front springs and suspension bushings for mild driving in a TR4 Triumph 3
Airwave BJ8 overdrive stops working after a while driving Austin Healey 17
M Driving/Owning Comparison between TR3 and AH3000 Austin Healey 13
M TR2/3/3A Driving Comparison between TR3 and AH3000 Triumph 40
vette Driving and/or Fog Lamp Bulbs Austin Healey 5
D TR2/3/3A Driving lights / badge bar attachment. Triumph 4
Patrick67BJ8 Lucas SLR Driving Lights installation Austin Healey 26
steveg Lousy driving light bulbs Austin Healey 0
bugedd Driving to elevation Spridgets 3
Got_All_4 TR2/3/3A Looking for advice in driving a TR3 with overdrive Triumph 6
steveg Healey hot weather driving observations Austin Healey 2
B Distributor driving gear orientation Austin Healey 2
turtle Avengers Assemble! Tony’s Driving a Healey... Austin Healey 1
2 TR2/3/3A Winter driving question Triumph 10
JPSmit Driving on the 401 today Other Cars 5
T TR2/3/3A 1/4 mile fast time driving technique Triumph 15
5 T-Series TF 5 speed conversion AND upgrade 4.55 Rear -- any driving problems? MG 6
bugedd How is your driving weather? Spridgets 12
KVH TR4/4A I Sure Like Driving My Triumph Triumph 8
K Spitfire '78 cuts out after many miles of driving Triumph 8
D Ticking noise when driving Austin Healey 8
anarchy99 Driving season... Spridgets 2
Sherlock It's driving season finally! Spotted 5
Jer 2014 Driving Season... Spridgets 8
S Driving Lamps - how to tighten? Austin Healey 8
AHS TR2/3/3A Resto [almost] finished - first driving impressions Triumph 16
toysrrus TR2/3/3A Lucas "Driving / Fog" Lens wanted: Triumph 9
K TR2/3/3A A cut down side curtain for Fall driving? Triumph 7
RickB Installing flip front kit, what's easiest way to secure back of bonnet for driving? Spridgets 40
S Highway Driving Spridgets 22
vette Driving/Fog Lamps Austin Healey 3
S Summer Driving Spridgets 13
M TR4/4A @ The driving stage with ALOT of minor " fininshes" Triumph 5