• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

3.5 Liter Fuel Options

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
No, I'm not lost! I have recently acquired a TR8 with the 3.5 engine. I'm in the process of deciding how far to go with the restoration and improvements. Don't want to switch to fuel injection because of the expense and all the changes necessary, so I'm trying to decide whether to keep the dual Zeniths, or go with the Edelbrock intake and 4 barrel. Would like some input on how the Edelbrock system has worked for others.

Thanks, as always,
Mickey

swift6

Yoda
I plan on dooing the 4-bbl conversion on mine as well Mickey. Have not done it yet though. A firend of mine in town here has done that converion to his Rover SD1 (ECU was bad on his injection and he switched it to carb). He has reported that his mileage has actually incrased and feels that so has his power. He has owned the car since new.

I'm anxious to hear others experiences though as well.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Maybe we can get a quantity discount! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mickey

urchin

Jedi Trainee
The Land Rover shop that has done the most extensive work with the 3.5L engine is East Coast Rover in Warren, ME [207-594-8086]. They're on the web, too.

They probably know the engine as well as anyone.

If you're going to leave it in the TR-8, Woody Cooper, the Wedge Shop, Raynham, MA or Wedge Parts right in TN, seems to know the TR-8 very well.

Good luck!

Jeff

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
The Land Rover shop that has done the most extensive work with the 3.5L engine is East Coast Rover in Warren, ME [207-594-8086]. They're on the web, too.

They probably know the engine as well as anyone.

If you're going to leave it in the TR-8, Woody Cooper, the Wedge Shop, Raynham, MA or Wedge Parts right in TN, seems to know the TR-8 very well.

Good luck!

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Jeff. Brad Wilson, of Wedgeparts, is indeed right here in the Queen City! We've met, and he's been here to see my TR8. He's quite keen on fuel injection, but as I mentioned, I don't think I want to go that route. At any rate, he's been very helpful, and it is fortunate to have someone with his knowledge right here in town.

I've also "talked" to Woody via the TR8 webmail list, and found him to be another good resource for parts and info.

The engine is going to stay; I just haven't decided which way to go with it yet. Took it for a drive yesterday afternoon, and even though it's running a bit rich and needs a tune-up, it raised the grin-factor in me a notch or two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif Mickey

philman

Jedi Knight
Have you thought of using the rover fuel injection manifold, modified to use a manifold air pressure sensor instead of the manifold air flow sensor? Then you could leave the air plenum off exposing the trumpets. It kind of looks like a hillbourne fuel injection system? You can use a painless wiring kit and reprogram a gm ecu for engine control and program the power curve for how you like to drive.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Have you thought of using the rover fuel injection manifold, modified to use a manifold air pressure sensor instead of the manifold air flow sensor? Then you could leave the air plenum off exposing the trumpets. It kind of looks like a hillbourne fuel injection system? You can use a painless wiring kit and reprogram a gm ecu for engine control and program the power curve for how you like to drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got my attention! Say more, please...

Mickey

philman

Jedi Knight
i don't know all the details, but that's what my machine shop suggested. I sent my fi manifoldout to oregon injection for modification. We are still building my engine. I'll see if my mechanic will talk to you about it.

SimonA

Freshman Member
I'm using the Edelbrock 500 cfm carb and Performer intake on my 3.5 MGB. Took a while to get the right rod/jet combination as the carb is a bit large for this engine but I think I've got it. Had the car on a dyno last fall and it was putting out 140 hp at the wheels and 190 lbs of torque. Stock rebuild with RV8 headers and 2.5" SS exhaust.

I've just added an MSD ignition to clean up the emmissions and want to get it back to the dyno to see if this makes a difference.

Performer intake is taller than other intakes so clearance may be an issue with your TR8 but can't see it been worse than an MGB. I had to use a 1 1/2" drop-base filter assembly to clear the hood (barely).

I can pass along pics or set-up info if you like.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hi, Simon -

Any information you can pass along will be appreciated. I'm leaning toward the Edelbrock setup, but will hold on to all the stock pieces just in case.

Thanks,
Mickey

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Got it - thanks!