Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Affordable Family Car

General discusssion about other British cars that don't have their own forum (yet).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Affordable Family Car

Ability is one thing.

Idiocy is another.

And I've encountered as many idiots on two wheels as on four.

More, probably, given the relative numbers of each....

<span style="font-weight: bold">Healey Journal</span>
    Just 5 years into a 2 year project....
    1967 Austin Healey 3000, 1972 Jensen-Healey, 1962 Rochdale Olympic

But not for as long - Darwin works faster...
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
    Ya want to REALLY improve peoples driving ability, and thin the herd as well, require the first year or two of driving be on two wheels. First year 250ccs or so, second year 500 ccs,

[/ QUOTE ]

You wanna give the idiots *MOTORIZED* vehicles to start with?
    ****, half of them can't deal with peddled vehicles, the
    other half can't deal with walking... And you wanna give
    them scooters?? Are you mad??

Oh, by the way, I passed the OPP drivers school with flying
    colors 30 years ago. So I get to keep driving... my wacko
    toys...

SteveL
    '73 MG B GT, Ford 2.6L V6...
    2 Capris, 2 X '76...
    1 F150...
    1 Merkur XR4Ti...
    and SWMBOs car...
    Kinda busy keeping them all running...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

SteveL, You're takin' th' FUN outta this... and quickly.

Let 'em sort it out amongst themselves! Then you get to drive them "toys" AFTER the fact... That's just my idiotic take on it.
    '64 MGB, '67 Lotus Elan S-3 DHC,'69 Lotus Elan +2
    '78 Alfa Romeo Spider-undergoing surgery: O=\*/=O
    '84 300D Turbo-"Diesela"-Now my Daily: Oo|≣|oO
    '02 Toyota Camry- SWMBO's 'new-to-her' Daily. <sigh>
    Chaos & Mayhem PTY, LTD..C.I.O. & Floor Sweepervisor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ya know the concept is if you put idiots on 2 wheels they'll sort themselves outa the gene pool... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] that way when they graduate to "cages" (as my 2 wheeler friends say) the dangers of an idiot in a cage are greatly reduced. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

had a guy like to shave the plate off my front bumper on my drive home today... I felt obliged to continue kissin' his rear until he decided it was time to get off the road...
    -Rob

Dear Carroll, Thank you for the wheels. They lead an exciting life on my 1976 MGB, though brief as it was, that made many a wheel envious.

[ QUOTE ]
    Not to be nit picky here but that quote is from Raul Julia in "The Gumball Rally". Driving a 375GTB Daytona Spider whose main competition in the movie was the 427 Cobra.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, not to be nitpicky either but the Daytona was model 365, not 375, and the Spyder was a GTS (S for Spyder), not a GTB (B for Berlinetta), and it was a GTS/4 (for 4 cam).

I agree though, Gumball Rally was a far better movie than Canonball (got it on DVD also), one of my favs. The night chase sequence with the Cobra and Ferrari is fantastic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1980 Rover SD-1
    <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"><span style="color: #006600"> Tony &quot;theAutoist&quot; Barnhill</span></span></span></span></span>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Not to be nit picky here but that quote is from Raul Julia in "The Gumball Rally". Driving a 375GTB Daytona Spider whose main competition in the movie was the 427 Cobra.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, not to be nitpicky either but the Daytona was model 365, not 375, and the Spyder was a GTS (S for Spyder), not a GTB (B for Berlinetta), and it was a GTS/4 (for 4 cam).

I agree though, Gumball Rally was a far better movie than Canonball (got it on DVD also), one of my favs. The night chase sequence with the Cobra and Ferrari is fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, good catch. My bad. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]
    Shawn
    TR8FHC-Melted

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lets see.... Rover SD1, Tony?

Actually I think the new TVR's, Aston Martin roadsters, and just about any 2 seaters would be great family cars in the USA these days!

My wife works on the days I'm off, and I work on her off-days - We have 1 daughter... So in about 80% of our driving time, the car only has 1 occupant. In about 15% of our driving time there's 2 people in the car, and 5% or less of our driving time all 3 of us.

So 2 seater cars are way more efficient for our life. We keep at least one "family" ride(mostly the toyota right now) so we can carry all of us and the camping gear. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

So at least I'm in a position, where I'm married, have a child, and 2 seat roadsters actually fit into 95% of the driving plan! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Also My wife sees it the same way and she hates wagons, minivans, and SUV's - well until she drove the 4runner anyway... She loves being "above the traffic" in that one - forward visibility is awsome compared to every other car we own. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif[/img]
    ...but then again, I've never been "normal" about anything, so I might be wrong on this one too. LOL.

I guess I'd vote for something sporty, rare, and cheap (but not in construction or quality). What happened to $5000 new cars? ...and don't say inflation! The MFG'ers have been going up in price exponentially since the 60's. It probably only costs $5000-9000 to make a big honkin Buick these days... So why do they cost $30,000-$40,000? Oh, and those axpensive electronics... Those are the cheapest parts. think about that next time you check the box for a $2000 premium sound system. I've built competition winning car sound systems for less than that!
    I Drank What? -Socrates 399 BC

Kenny Pinkerton
    1977 MGB, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 2006 Ford F150,
    2015 sublime green Dodge Challenger R/T, 2016 Ford Edge

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually there is quite a bit of inflation to take into account from the 1960's to today. However, if you look at what you get for the money, today's cars are a far better value than those of the 60's (safety, reliability, fuel efficiency, etc.). I didn't say better, just better value. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/square.gif[/img]
    It comes in pints?! I'm getting one!
    Present:
    99 Jeep Wrangler
    Past:
    84 Jeep CJ
    81 Ford Fiesta