• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGC MGC GT VIN

bthomas69mgc

I just aquired an 69 MGC GT and the title was "lost" (by my father without ever being transfered to his name). I have to apply for a new Title so I can start restoring the car.

On the Driverside front inside fender, there are 3 badges with numbers, Which one is the VIN ??

One is square with stamped number, one is oval with "Commission no" on it and stamped numbers and the other is oval with stamped numbers.

Thanks

A

aerog

I believe the correct number for the "VIN" would be the entire portion that reads something like "G-CD1-U/4444-G" (where "4444" is the car number and the "U" refers to USA or North-American version which may not be present on your number plate).

The VIN on my B drops the dashes and slashes and complies to the newer numbering system, which would show up as "GCD1U4444G".

At least thats the best I can find in the literature I have.

Good luck - Scott

OP
B

bthomas69mgc

OKay, the one badge says GCD1U/xxxxG, so that is the VIN?

What is the other Oval Badge that reads Commission No.? It starts with G52DxxxxxxP ??

Then the Square tag Reads GCUDxxxxxx ??
Whats that?

My MGC Shop manual doesn't explain any of these?

Any Help would be appricated !!

A

aerog

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bthomas69mgc:
OKay, the one badge says GCD1U/xxxxG, so that is the VIN?

What is the other Oval Badge that reads Commission No.? It starts with G52DxxxxxxP ??

Then the Square tag Reads GCUDxxxxxx ??
Whats that?

My MGC Shop manual doesn't explain any of these?

Any Help would be appricated !!
<hr></blockquote>

I don't know what the GCUD number is - I don't have any reference to that.

The G52D is, as best I can tell, an in-house commission number. G=MG, 52=MGC, D=GT, the number is the commission number.

The GCDU1xxx number should be the actual VIN number... G=(again) MG, C=your 6-cyl engine (the 4-cly engines used an H), D=GT, U=Left-Hand-Drive-USA, 1=first series of the MGC, the number is the serial number of the car. The last "G" indicates the car was built in Abingdon.

The reason I'm assuming this is the actual accepted VIN number is the numbers used as VIN on the MGB are virtually identical except the "C"s are all "H"s

FYI I'd hadn't dealt with any MGC number plates before. The above info is from the book "Original MGB w/MGC and MGB GT V8" - turns out, as I said, the VIN plate is identical to the MGBs except for that one letter.

OP
B

bthomas69mgc

Thanks for the information.

So the Small oval Badging is the VIN, the Larger Oval "Commission No." is an Inhouse used number.

I guess I'll have to do some additional information to find out what the Rectangle Badge is?

Thanks again !!

What book did you say it was?
I might have to hit a book store and see who has it?

Anyone else have any expirence with MGC's ??

A

aerog

The book is "Original MGB with MGC and MGB-GT V8" (or at least something very similar to that). There's a whole series of books on various MGs, Triumphs, and other sports cars with similar "the Original..." titles.

The book is an excellent reference for a lot of details, plus great pictures. Unfortunately the content on the MGC is a little thin, and the section on the VIN numbers doesn't really go into great detail on the different plates. There is a photo of the three plates you're talking about, but I was under the impression that the numbers on two of them were the in-house commission numbers and would be the same, while the third was the VIN number I outlined.

In any case it's a good book for restoration details for the MGB with a lot of additional details on the MGC. Here's a link to Amazon.com's page for the book: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1870979486/

Dennis P

Jedi Hopeful
Hi, Isn't there a plate on the dash, that matches the large plate foun when one opens the drivers door, by the sill ?

OP
B

bthomas69mgc

Dennis,
After Cleaning all the glass on the windows and the dash pad of "crud", I see a plate that matches the inter fender well plate !! I looked and looked but didn't see any door opening plate though. Thanks, that number from the dash/interfender well, must be the VIN.

Thanks again !!