• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

airconditioning

gene johnston

Jedi Hopeful
Anyone have any experience with air on a 'B? I have a '73 GT purchased 2 years ago. Dealer air. Has a riciprocating compressor with a idler pulley below that's impossible to get to so have much difficulty with belt tension. Alt "cam" mounts above compressor so it doesn't really have adjustment either. Ran across a later model that was at a swap meet but didn't think to buy. It had a rotary compressor and the mounting seemed to be better and I thought possibly would not drain as much horsepower. On the other hand I wonder if it's worth the struggle. Any thoughts? It's hot here in the southeast.

William

Darth Vader
"Dealer air" is gonna be different from car to car when dealing with cars like the B. In Clausager's book "Original MGB" theres a picture of a late model B with air, and it looked like a really tight fit, what with all the emissions plumbing as well. FIrst thing is to try and ascertain whether or not the air con is actually working properly. IF it aint, and cant be fixed, look into replacement. As for type of compressor, I don't think that makes too much diff. on horsepower use, as much as efficiency. Either way, A/C is gonna be a real drain on a B.
-William (who just realized he offered no real advice whatsoever. Sorry.)

OP
G

gene johnston

Jedi Hopeful
William. Thanks for input on the airconditioner. I have located individual in Fla. that has a neat setup. His alternator is in the stock location with a rotary compressor mounted to the airpump bracket on the thermostat housing. I have seen one car at a show that reversed these locations. He has emailed photos of his install and I have the manufactures name for the compressor. I'll start assembling the parts and see how it goes.

mts3

I have the original dealer-installed setup for my 76B. It's in boxes in my attic, waiting for the day that I may once again reinstall it. The compressor is huge (it's the rotary type, not the piston variety). I have, however, seen piston compressors on MGBs through the years.

You will find even different interior setups for the later MGB air conditioners. I've seen atleast two varieties to fit the 68-76 dashboards and atleast that many to fit the 77-80 ones.

Regarding compressor mounting...unless you have the original brackets, you'll have to do a custom job with a custom belt. The way mine was originally set up, the compressor mounts where the alternator was using its adjusting bracket (I think). The alternator mounted on separate brackets bolted to the compressor, and ran on its own belt straight off of the compressor. There was no air pump.

Of course there are other ways to do it. I once had them all spinning from one belt (custom) before I decided to remove the A/C system altogether.

OP
G

gene johnston

Jedi Hopeful
Your eyes must be younger than mine, I haven't located the pic yet. I'll get my glasses and recheck. I have run across additional info from another contact. He is copying info he indicates he has collected over long period including original install manuals for dealer addon and web sites for aftermarket hotrod types. I'll keep looking in The Original MGB for photo as now attempting to locate all info I can before proceeding.
Thanks for additional info.
Gene

A

aerog

I'm not sure if this helps at all, but this is the engine compartment on a 1980 MGB with A/C (pictures from a for-sale ad):

genac.jpg

OP
G

gene johnston

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks for photo note Scott. Can't view the mounting but can see routing of lines for oil cooler and condenser thru radiator bulkhead. Current installation on mine moved oil cooler lines down to the opening in the rad bulkhead on top of the rt frame rail and aircon lines into openings for oil lines.
Gene

William

Darth Vader
The picture in "Original MGB" shows the installation others have described-compressor where alternator used to live, alternator on a new bracket. Just thought I'd add that!
-William

William

Darth Vader
Gene-the pictures near the back of the book, in the section about accessories and options. I think, as I don't have the book handy, but Im sure its in there.
-Wm.