• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT 68 mgbgt battery question

JoeV

Hi Jonny,
On my 73 BGT I had one 12volt on the driver's side that was there when I got it and it worked fine.
Joe V

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Go for the single 12v... Even most "originality" purists agree it's acceptable, since this gives us far more reliable starting power.

I've seen the 12vs on either side. I've heard people say you should put it on the passenger side, to help balance out the weight of the car, since most of us drive solo . . . and to make the battery more accessible from the driver's seat.

Mine's on the driver's side, however. Don't know why. Probably because that's where the least rusted battery box was at the time of conversion!

Now I've got the neat plastic battery bins in both sides anyway. The empty one is a perfect place to stow the jumper cables, just in case!

jonny g

Freshman Member
my 68 gt still has 2 6 volt batteries, anybody have any input on replacements available other than the 100 buck (each) original tar tops available? Am considering 1 - 12 volt maybe. if i switch to 1 - 12V is installing in driver side or passenger side battery bucket preferable. Any one with any input on this would be appreciated, thanks, jonny g

gene johnston

Jedi Hopeful
Jonny, My '73 GT has the battery on the passengers side. I converted it when I purchased the car. I agree with the weight balancing being better on the passenger side and besides the battery lead to the starter runs along the right side of the undercarriage. I used an Interstate battery I checked the receipt I think a model 26a50 @ $61.95. I didn't use a plastic battery box
it would be a tight fit.

William

Darth Vader
Dad's '71 roadster has just the single battery as well. No idea which side its on, as neither of us has bothered (or had reason to) take a look. I do know we have the plastic boxes in there. Car starts up fine every time.
-Wm.

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've got an Interstate "Megatron" 26 battery, and I do have it in a plastic battery bin. Fits fine. (It's snug, but drops right in with a little persuasion. Snug is good; keeps it from bouncing around.) I just use one of those battery pull straps when I need to take it out. Works great.

Upon further reflection, I think my battery is probably on the driver's side because my 66 is still positive ground, and the wiring works better that way.

jonny g

Freshman Member
I did the 2 6 volt to 1 12 volt battery swap in my 68 GT yesterday - what a breeze - thanks to everybodies advice!!!! Interstate Battery Co supplied me with a 26 size battery which fit just right - snug but not too snug - several sources for same size rated battery had 26 size batteries but had protruding lugs towards bottom of battery which made them too big (slightly) As far as the battery cables all i did was switch neg ground bolt down from one side of car to the other (mine was bolted to drivers side rear leaf spring front bolt so i switched it over to the passsenger side) turned the key and vroom. Also found a black plastic, slightly tapered bathroom type garbage can, trimmed of some height and slipped it into driver side battery hole for a near perfect fit for some spare tools etc..
thumbsup.gif

Miles

Freshman Member
Hi Jonny G. Go for the single 12. I'd also install it on the passenger side to reduce the length of wire to starter. There are 12 volts avaliable for the proper fit. Get rid of those 17 year old interstates even though they still crank the old girl.

Tom

I agree with all postings, passenger's side is better, that is the way my MGB is wired.

But in my other MG (a MGC) I have two batteries in paralell which gives a far higher current than any small single battery, not really nessesary in a 4 cylinder but a useful mod in the Cs and V8 conversions/original cars.

In either case maintenence free (sealed batteries) are recommended as everyone no doubt knows access to these items is not the best in A's, B's and C's

regards

Tom