• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Any Mini Moke owners?

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
Greetings from the Triumph forum!

The Mini Moke has piqued my interest. Are there any owners here in the forum? If so, got any advise on looking at one to purchase, other than the normal "watch out for rust?"

Basil

Administrator
Boss
There was an article in on of my old British Car Magazines (R.I.P), I'll see if I can scrounge it up, or maybe someone else has that article handy?

Basil

dklawson

Yoda
I'm not trying to turn you away from this forum but I encourage you to visit the Mini Mania forum (membership is free) for more info on the Moke. We have a number of Moke owners there who would be more than happy to tell you what to look for.
https://www.minimania.com/home.cfm

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
Ah the Moke, a vehicle that seems to have a perenial Cameo role in James Bond Movies. There was a Marathon on the tele over the holidays. I saw no less than 4 Mokes in 4 different movies and I wasn't looking for them or even watching all of the movies..

Mokes have many of the same weak poins at their brothers (Minis): Make sure the subframes are in good condition (no rust)and the body panels are OK. Some body panels are made of unobtanium. You'll have to find a Moke owner to find out which ones, sorry.

Another problem area is the clutch linkage, it's not expensive to rebuild, but it is a real let down to not be able to drive home, because you can't get the car in gear. Don't be surprised if you have to push the pedal all the way to the floor to shift.

WJM

Hi I have had a moke now for 5/6 years. They are a great fun car. I took mine back to bare metal and restored it. The moke is no worse than any other car to restore. I also have a MGB which I am restoring at the moment and find parts are cheaper and easier to get for the moke. There are no special things to look for apart from the usal rust in the floors and sub frames. These cars are so easy to work on. If I can work out how to post a photo I will Regards John. (you will love the moke)

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
I've got a friend near Daytona who is interested in selling his Moke for $6500. It appears to be nice, but I didn't look at for too long. I can give his e-mail if anyone is interested.There is 1 pic,check attachment.
Rick

Attachments

• 211120-PDR_0004.JPG
    211120-PDR_0004.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 357

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
My pal, Chris brings his 948 Moke to the races as a pit-buggy and it is great fun!
It is street licensed, so his wife and kids can use it to drive around when they are at the races.
We actually used a picture of it for our Christmas card (see below).+
Probably not great in cold, snowy weather.....about as "normal" as owning a Lotus Super Seven in the northeastern USA.

More pictures of it:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/vintage/vrg-mccabe_vrg06_moke.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/vintage07/vrg-bvrun-07-43.jpg

IMGP3.jpg

Ernst Blofeld

I'd love one but here in the UK we have rain.

Anyway, I drove a rented Moke in Barbados back in 1995 - and the car is surely more fun than anything you can do with or without clothes on. Perhaps nudist Moke driving is the ultimate buzz. But not in Alaska.

If the Mini was all about 'less is more' then the Moke must be the best Mini variant ever made. With a bit more grunt it'd be like a Lotus Seven, with the advantage that you can take your friends along too.

On this side of the pond Minisport has acquired bodyshells - presumably knocked out by Cagiva, the last people to build the Moke:

https://www.minisport.com/acatalog/Mini_Moke_Parts.html

Country flag
The gentleman I bought my Traveller from also owned a Moke - his significant other said pick one, sell the other. YAY for me he decided to keep the Moke...!

Ernst Blofeld

If you're in the market for a Moke, why not consider one of these:

https://www.minimarcos.org.uk/altpics/ant.html

The Moke's proposed replacement, the 4x4, transverse engined ANT. The go-anywhere Mini.

It never reached production, but many prototypes were built, and I saw a lovely example in white only a few weeks ago at the MiniWorld Action Day at the Castle Combe racing circuit in south-west England.

Makes the Moke look almost common.

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
My next Mini will be a Mini Moke!