• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Is there a market for Europas ?

G

I plan on purchasing a '69 Lotus Europa S2 54/1808. The car is in very good condition and hasn't been restored. The car is 99% complete, which is amazing.

I believe its a European export car because it has the rounded front fenders that slope towards the headlights, which is desirable.

1565cc Engine with Weber 32/36 carb and header. 69,000+ miles since new with a possible rebuild.

Interior only needs a headliner and the vinyl pieces at the ends of the dash replaced. Seats and carpet in good condition. Wood dash is excellent.

Paint is pretty good with a few cracks in the glass but nothing serious. The front hood will need sanding and a repaint.

All badges are intact and in good condition. Chrome is in excellent condition.

New Michelin tires 155/80 R13 on Spitfire rims.

I plan on keeping the car a few months and turning it around. Is there a market for Europa's or am I going to have trouble getting rid of it when I want to sell it ?

Thanks for the help !
hammer.gif
driving.gif
patriot.gif

[ 05-15-2004: Message edited by: David Kiehna ]</p>

StevenA

Jedi Trainee
I am your market... if it is affordable. I have been looking for a rebuildable Europa for a number of years. I have a house and land near you, in MS. Just about 70 miles from Memphis at Dennis. I would be interested if it isn't a pure concours condition rare unique body-off rebuild with a million dollars invested. There are a few of them around every now and then and the price was not terribly bad when I checked but haven't checked in a year +/-.

OP
G

Steven,

I'd like to keep the car for the summer and see what driving a Lotus is like, but you'll be the first I contact when its time to sell. I'm not looking for anything above what average-good condition retail is.

Thanks !

JBsZ06

Jedi Hopeful
David..tell us about the ownership experience with the car..

I'd enjoy hearing your impressions..

JB

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I have heard that these are great little cars. I would say that the market for good ones will always be there, not too many buyers, but then again there are not that many cars either, so I can see no problems.....mind you, you just found that out for yourself right away didn't you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
My impression is that there isn't a lot of demand for the Renault powered cars in the US. Almost-perfect ones go for about $6000 and the values are dropping.

I think any Europa other than a Twin-Cam is a particularly poor investment.

Forgetting about the money aspects, though, everyone should have a least one Lotus from the Chapman era and the non-Twink Europa's are the cheapest way to get into one.

If the car's decent, go for it - every Lotus is an adventure. Drive it first - make sure it doesn't throw too much heat inside since you plan to use it in the summer. Look carefully at the frame, particularly in front. These cares have sheet metal frames like an Elan without the benefit of an engine up there throwing a bit of oil around to keep the tin-worm away.

OP
G

Well on Sunday morning I went to take a second look at the Lotus Europa S2. Deceided that it was too good a deal to pass up and the car screamed to be driven. Drove the car home and spent the next three hours cleaning it out. The car just kept looking better and better !! The only things it needs is a new waterpump to crankshaft belt (wrong size installed) and an airfilter which is missing.

The handling is unbelievable and it has good power. Since I'm 19 its not such a big deal getting in and out of the car, but my dad with be quick to disagree !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I love my new Lotus.

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Congradulations! Sounds like a fun car! Personally I'd love one myself so I'm a bit puzzled by the relatively low values.

StevenA

Jedi Trainee
I have seen them all over the price market but never above 6000.00 I too have lovesd the little Lotus... but I think that is why they are cheaper than MGbs... no power or at least not what is expected from the marquee. Lotus under-powered it and just like other cars... it hit the market during the "big Chevy and Big Ford" generation. I owned one in the early 80s and lost it to pay off a divorce. Saw one in AZ a year ago for 1500.00 and it ran and was garaged (in a barn) but didn't have the spare $ at the time. When I have the $ they aren't around / when I don't they are. Oh well... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
Since I'm 19 its not such a big deal getting in and out of the car, but my dad with be quick to disagree !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

19 with a Lotus Europa!!! Congratulations. Keep it keep it keep it. You will really sorry in a few years if you sell it.

I thought all 18 and 19 years olds wanted Honda Civics to dump $30,000 into chrome and engine.

Good luck and keep that Lotus. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

OP
G

I also have a '74 MGB Tourer. Its got a fast road engine, overdrive, and Mazda Miata leather seats. Its really happy at 80 mph on the interstate !

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Well maybe you won't miss it if you sell it, having the MGB's also. Good luck.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Oh yes, keep that little car. My sons would kill for such a fun car!! Only down side is that there's no back seat!! At least you can't get in too much trouble that way. (Goes off singing "Paradise by the dashboard light" to himself) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
I also have a '74 MGB Tourer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall having heard the term Tourer before. When did it come into use and to what cars does it apply? I guess as opposed to a roadster or a convertible? But have not heard anyone call a 1967 Healey a Tourer. Or is is something MG came up with?

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I don't recall having heard the term Tourer before. .... Or is is something MG came up with?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not as commonly used as it once was, but it's an old term. It's hard to pin down an exact meaning - I guess the closest today is "convertible". I'm sure a Google search will reveal many car makers that have used the term.

Re MGB's, it's a specific term coined by the company and used on owner's manuals and shop manuals for the open MGB.

CraigFL

Jedi Trainee
I'm glad it's not just we old guys who like Lotus Europas. Its been almost 30 years since I owned my S2 and it's still one of the best handling cars I ever had. The renault may not have much HP but it's only a 1200lb car....

usasma

Jedi Trainee
I passed one up years ago (was a Twin-Cam too!) Still kicking myself in the butt! Good for you!

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also have a '74 MGB Tourer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall having heard the term Tourer before. When did it come into use and to what cars does it apply?

[/ QUOTE ]

The term tourer is an old one- Ford produced the 1908 Model T in a touring variant and it was their most popular model for most of its production. I suppose other manufacturers too would have then had touring cars....

I had a '64 MGB roadster, so tourer must have come in rather later. As I recall, the roadster was a car with a de-mountable soft-top (stored in the boot) while a convertible simply lower the top and the whole stayed mounted.

Perhaps MG used tourer instead of convertible?