• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone driven both?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Anyone driven both the regular "new" Mini and the "S"? How much difference?

Basil

dklawson

Yoda
I have several acquaintances who have driven both and who also own classic Minis. You may want to visit Mini Mania and post the question there. They have forums for both classic and new cars. You could post in both to get the greatest number of opinions.

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
New MINI: competent new car. Cooper S: more than competent. Down right scary going around corners. You can definitely exceed the speed limit while turning right or left. Acceleration is dependent upon what you're accustomed to. The low end torque isn't the strong point, but it gets out of its own way.

Personally, I will be seriously looking at the S as my next daily driver. (Some from the crowd say Heresy! How could a Mini owner buy a MINI!). I say it's an awesome new car, not the tradition beraking thinking of the original, but practical and fun.

V

vagt6

I've driven both and think the diff is significant, at least in terms of performance and ride. The S suspension is stiffer, making the car very sporty (i.e., bumpy on bad roads).

The extra power of the S is noticable immediately. The supercharged engine has far more low speed torque, making it comfortable at low rpms in traffic, etc. (and better fuel economy).

Entirely different cars, IMHO. The S is a pure sports car: the non-S is a small, underpowered BMW.

If you're considering a MINI, get the S. You won't regret it, I promise!

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I've had 17 classic Minis, one a no holds barred SCCA race car, and 1 new MINI S. I love them so much I am a "Motoring Advisor" - selling new MINIs.

Both new MINIs have incredible cornering abilities!
The S is obviously much more powerful and can get out of the way pretty fast. If you put on the John Cooper Works Tunig kit, then you get about 210 HP - which will give an M3 a run for the money.
There are many good things about the new MINI, including lots of hidden technologies, a very good maintenance program and a 4/50 warranty.
Plus, if you want to modify your car - whoa is the aftermarket full of tuners!

THEY are FUN ! to drive! and new - start every time, etc...

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior
From an SCCA Autocross perspective:

The Cooper isn't actually that much slower than the Cooper S. Even though the S comes in around 167 HP this model year (slightly less in the past), the Cooper is 120+ and has a significantly lower kerb weight. The S is like 2800 lbs, where the Cooper is like 2400-2500. Even though it's clearly not as fast, it's not that slow either.

There's a fellow with a (fully prepared to) stock rules G Stock Cooper (he also happens to be one of the best drivers in the Philly Region). He can blow the pants off my highly modified (but not fully sorted) Midget, and I've got similar power and much lower weight. They're both fast around the corners, and the S is just a bit faster in a line.

Of course, the works package is head and shoulders faster than the rest, because I doubt much weight is added for those extra hp.

On a more personal note, my brother wants a Mini. He's getting the S. No questions about it.

V

vagt6

My 2005 S has 168 BHP, yes, 168 HP at the front wheels. The curb weight is 2640, with a full tank of fuel and no driver.

There are tons and tons of aftermarket performance goodies available, if you don't mind voiding your warranty.

I can't imagine a more fun and well-engineered car for the money. Maybe the MCS convertible.

The sound of the supercharger widing up is a real thrill. I have a cold air induction kit on mine, which really makes it squeal. The handling is race-car precise, with plenty of feedback from the steering. If I drove more agressively, I'd add a larger rear swaybar to keep the rear end tucked in a bit better. The stock MCS is great just the way it is, though.

The resale value has been fantastic. I've lost less than 10% of the new value in over a year.

Good combo, hard to beat for the money.

Mini_Jim

Freshman Member
We own one of each.
A 2003 Cooper that my wife owns ("Big Blue")
and an ex-race '67 Cooper S that I drive ("Little Red").

IMHO, there's absolutely no similarity between the two.

They are both *wonderful* cars in their own right.

But, as far as I am concerned, the name is the only common link.

G

I test drove both side by side when they first came out with the S. We were looking for a toy as a second car. Drove the regular mini with a slushbox and the S without.

They were totally different cars.

The S is closer to a go-cart, but it really doesn't like bad roads, it tramlines like crazy and is noisy when you step on it. It's got ok acceleration, decent brakes and corners well - unless your roads are crap (like ours here), then it's easy to upset mid-corner. Both cars understeer if you drive enthusiastically.

The regular car is a lot slower. It's noisy at 70 to the point where you can't talk without raising your voice, and you feel like you are working hard to get it up there.

Remember the one I drove had a slushbox though, so it's not an apples to apples comparison, and these are my impressions - no flames from happy new mini owners - I personally happen to like the older minis better, but they aren't nearly as practical.

We ended up getting something totally different as the toy - a little more teutonic, but still iconic. (Wifes choice, not mine).

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I've had very limited experience in any of them new or old, although in years past I've driven a '61 Mini 850, a '73 Mini 1000 (from Canada) and a "new" Cooper S ('02, I think). All great in their own way, but one could barely compare an early 850 to a later 1000, let alone a "new" to "old"!

But it all puzzles me just a bit that we in the US only seem able to get "hot" or "hotter" new Minis. I guess that's just fine from BMW's marketing viewpoint...and maybe I'm one of the very few who would be as happy with more of a commuter version that got really, really good fuel mileage, even if I were NO threat at all to a new Bugatti or Z06 Corvette....

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
...and maybe I'm one of the very few who would be as happy with more of a commuter version that got really, really good fuel mileage, even if I were NO threat at all to a new Bugatti or Z06 Corvette....

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually my wife is leaning toward the "standard" Mini Cooper, not the S for exactly that reason. She wants something fun, but not a race car, that has back seats and gets good gas mileage (sice we live 30 miles from town). If she gets on it will probably be a convertable just because, well, she likes convertibles.

Basil

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
Bas, Double check that back seat feature prior to signing on the dotted line....

G

I hate to say it, but based on my lovely wife's pick, we went for a VW bug after driving the Mini.

Price was comparable even when we loaded the turbo convertible. It's ok at 70 - quiet and fairly civilised. Don't care so much about gas mileage because the other car is a Land Rover and it's much much better. I hate VWs but even I had to say that I thought it was a better bet for her...

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
Bas, Double check that back seat feature prior to signing on the dotted line....

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming its small, but would not be for long trips, just short trips around town. Or is "small" an understatement?

Basil

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
Leg room was the issue, much like a Big Healey.

I guess for short trips the people in the front can sit close to the dash and everything would be OK.

V

vagt6

The back seat legroom is very limited, especially if the front seat riders are tall.

Forget longish trips for back seat passengers, unless they're very small or have very short legs. I think there's ample room for two folks in the back seat, but again, if the front passengers are tall and have their seats situated very far back, folks in the back seat will suffer.

Back seat room for normal people is limited, but it's OK for short trips.

I'm 6'2", about 190 lbs, and I wouldn't choose to ride in my MINI back seat for more than 30 minutes, at most.

I hope this helps.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Thanks for the feedback. If we get one it would be my wifes, and she sits about 1-inch from the steering wheel (short legs). She just wants to be able to have fun with her car but still be able to haul her girl friends around town a little bit. No long trips involved.

Basil

V

vagt6

Bas, the MINI would be quite good for your wife's purposes as described. I haul my 80+ year-old parents around in my back seat for short trips and they're fine with it.

I also think your wife will LOVE the MINI!

Good luck with your decision/purchase.