• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

XK Repaint

Mac

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I am planning on a good ground up restoration on this XK140 I aquired. I'm not planning on repainting the original color but one of the colors available for this model in 1955. My question is which color would show least the body flaws and which color the most? I guess I'm looking for the color that would hide the most. The body is in pretty good shape but not Pebble Beach if you know what I mean. Mac

Don_Neff

Jedi Hopeful
Gloss Black will show every tiny flaw of the surface to which it applied.

Don

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Ditto what Don said. As a general rule, dark colors show flaws worse than lighter colors.

Basil

OP
M

Mac

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The original color is suede green. That would be a medium color I would guess though I don't like it. Maybe Old English White would hide the most. Mac

JagCDN

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hello,

I agree with Basil, dark colors show all flaw in body.
Cheers,

mattb

Freshman Member
Man... I think you're crazy. I LOVE the suede green color. Probably with a biscuit or dark green interior. Really nice in my opinion, and it won't show flaws too bad. Were it me, I'd go with it. But... that's just me. I like green.

Its your car... enjoy it as you want.

I will agree though. Dark colors show flaws. I painted my 120 to the closest to a XK140 color that I could find. That being a dark maroon. I thought it would go well with the biscuit interior that I've yet to install. As it is, I just call it 'purple'...

Cheers
Matt

05jagxk120pic.jpg

PhilW

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
There's a saying among painters that's been around since before your grandfather.

If the body ain't right, paint it white.

That's why I examine a white car that i'm interested in extra hard.

P.

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
gents: dark colors have a tendency to "shrink" things, visually-speaking. it is not the color itself that highlites or hides the flaws, it is the gloss or shine, and you will not be painting it Flat, so any color will show anything if you look at it carefully enough. It is not the Paint but the Preparation of the Surface BEFORE painting. So just paint it any color, it will look awesome, whether or not it was offered in 1955. Forget about Pebble Beach, those people never turned a wrench in their life, they bought their cars already done by a Craftsman and then they go "show" them. Trailer Queens they call them. I like yellow cars myself, even though I don't have a yellow car. Use Enamel for a thick coat that will hide many flaws, that's what they painted cars with in 1955 all over the world. forget about modern lacquers, or nitro-cellulose, or none of that "expensive" stuff. Why bother? they are so expensive they can only spray a thin coat. Don't you just love the painted nails of the ladies? Enamel Enamel Enamel Enamel! Instead of a Metallic finish, I would give it a Pearlized finish, regardless of color. I saw the strangest 1983 XJ-6 Cream color the other day, (coffee with cream color, in the brown family of colors), I had never seen that color before, must be very rare. There's your color. Ex
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
There's a saying among painters that's been around since before your grandfather.

If the body ain't right, paint it white.

That's why I examine a white car that i'm interested in extra hard.

P.

[/ QUOTE ]

PhilW, You absolutely right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BlueRidge1

Jedi Warrior
Why not spend the extra time and money to get it just right,then paint it what ever color you like, It would be worth the extra effort. Bob