• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A slightly different question about 5 speeds

G

OK, so I'm going to do the Supra 5-speed conversion - actually to be strictly honest the engine is in the shop already out of the car, so I'm going to pay the mechanic to do it.

I've been pricing Supra W58 transmissions. I've got 3 quotes all under $500 for used transmissions (90-120k years from 87 - 91) shipped all with the same 3mo parts only warranty. I priced a rebuilt one with a year unlimited for just under $1000 shipped.

Given the price disparity, the cost of the conversion and the aggravation if the box is defective, would you go for option 1 or option 2...

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Your money, time & luck... but if it was me I would pay the difference and go with a reputable rebuild.

Especially since you are not doing the work yourself... a do-over on the gearbox could be costly as well as aggravating.

71tr

Jedi Warrior
go with the used tranny and save the dough. toyota gearboxes are tough.

OP
G

I'd do it myself, but the engine and tranny is already out of the car. He's really only charging me for mounting the TO and replacing the clutch.

If the 1 year warranty box goes bad it's a replace on return job, so it's not totally clearcut. It's not like I get the labor (which I'd do myself on a replace) back on either, just the cost of the rebuild. If it were a question of a 'free' swap if it went bad then there would be no question in my mind. I'm still undecided...

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Never heard back from the guy who did the toyota box. I do remember he had to pull the whole thing out about 1 month later and rebuild the trans. He did option #1 and if I remember right his suggestion was to put a rebuilt one in.Have you seen the chart with all the Toyota gear boxes and their ratios?

trboost

Jedi Trainee
Alana,

Just blew my trans after 6 years of abuse. Spoke to Herman a few weeks ago about his conversion & just picked up an 83 celica 5-speed in good shape for $125.00 out in Bayshore L.I. I went out to Bridgeport Conn last week to look at two but they were a little to broken in for me.
I would check on the 87 & later Supra W58's. I think the bell housing to trany bolt pattern is differant than the earlier W58 & will not fit Hermans kit. I'm not positive about this & neither is Herman.
I will not be able to drive my car for at least a month now & I'm already suffering. Putting a few bucks together & I should order Hermans kit by Jan 1st.
I'll take pics on the install.

OP
G

According to all the Aus sites the boxes are interchangeable, but then they are all using the dellow conversion. I guess for safety I'll just go 83-86 Supra then - it means getting more quotes as I got ones for 87-91. I hate dealing with breakers - too many bad experiences in the UK.

My car has been in the shop for 2 weeks now. I'm jonesing. The only thing keeping me going is learning more about fuel injection...

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If anyone has done the swap can you tell us how the Toyota transmission feels in comparison to the Triumph box? Recently I drove an 84 Celica GTS with a 5 speed. The shifter felt kind of rubbery, not very exact when you change gears. I like the positive feel of the TR6 box. It's not quite as nice as a miata box but was far better than the Celica I drove. The Celica has something arong 200K miles on the clock, so some of the vagueness may be the result of wear.
I'm considering a 5 speed but don't want to end up with a shifter like a 62 VW.

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
I have had my toyota 5 speed for about 4 months. Its in a TR3, but the big thing I noticed right off is the "throw" of the stick is alot shorter. That, and there is some "bounce" in the position of each gear. Thats the only way I can explain it, its like when you get it in gear, the shifter kind of repostions itself.

But I do love doing 72 mph at 3000 rpm, instead of 65 at 3500.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
first, celica(iron box) and supra(aluminum box) are not the same and not interchangable. one kit for one, other kit for other one. the dellow supra kit is for supra transmissions of which there are about four 5-spd supra transmissions that will fit.see the dellow site. hvda's is for the celica box, not supra. a good used supra 90-92 box should not need rebuilding if the mileage is not too high. this is NOT the turbo supra box, so not a lot of hp was pushed through it. a good clean wreck that was rolled, not stuffed hard in the front, would be good.
rob