• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

74 xke under bonnet black colors

Mike74xke

Freshman Member
looking for help with different black colors under the bonnet. Gloss, matte, wrinkle? Header tank, air boxes, radiator cowling, heater box? Thanks, Mike

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
looking for help with different black colors under the bonnet. Gloss, matte, wrinkle? Header tank, air boxes, radiator cowling, heater box? Thanks, Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

My 1972 - Heater box is high gloss as is header tank. My airboxes are a hammerite-like silver. Can't remember the radiator cowling at the moment but wrinkle rings a bell.

Bruce

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
The radiator shroud is indead wrinkle black. Just had one done...$55 I believe? Cam covers are matte black.
Cheers, David.

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've been spraying Black Truck Bed Coating on brackets and the under-bumper valance panel in my '65 s type, the stuff dries like a rock, leaving a satin, semi-wrinkle black finish which is very convincing and hides deffects. got it at O'Reillys. If your car is for show and judging, then I have no idea what the correct paints are for an XKE. But paint is paint is paint. In my case, I want it to look nice, but not exactly as it came from the factory 40 years ago, because 40 years ago, paints and coatings were not as efficient as they are today. The Eastwood Co. sells the correct gloss levels in modern formulations.

OP
M

Mike74xke

Freshman Member
Hey, thanks for the help. Does anyone else have silver airboxes on 1974 jag ots? This is not a show car, just a very nice driver. But i still want it to look as close as possible. Thanks. Mike
PS I'm tring to post some pics.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
YOu can either post a picture directly into your post or reply (image must reside on a server somewhere). Or, you can UPLOAD the image as an attachment.

I have upladed an attachment to this reply. If you click the "attachment" link in the header of my reply you will see.

Here's a link from our Knowledge Base on How to add pictures

and here is how to add an attachment.

Cheers, Basil

Attachments

• 147912-whitechristmas.jpg
    147912-whitechristmas.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 65

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
I have a 73 in here at the moment, that I have serviced since it had 19k miles on it. The airboxes are silver, similar to the argent silver rellye wheel color. The cam covers are a fairly shiny semi gloss black, about the same as the intake manifolds

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Basil, mine is a 1966 370-12 (aka Roger McGuinn model nowadays, although he started out with a 360-12 in the first two albums). have mine since 1967. I never grew up.

how do I attach my Rick like you did at the bottom? or is that reserved for Admins? Did they ever make a Capri 12 version? that's the one I wanted back in '65, or a 381-12.

Personally, I hate anything .PDF, it is so slow and clumsy, not to mention un-editable, a total waste. I like .JPG and .GIF. HTML is so much trouble. And besides, not many people have their own URL in which they store images, I sure don't! There oughta be an easier way. There is another forum, the jcna.com forum, that allows you to post an image with the post, no clicking for attachments, no links. You see the image as you read the post. That's the way, aha aha, I like it. But I'm sure that takes up a lot of server space. But it keeps being true: a picture is worth a thousand words. Love the avatar! How about a tutorial on making those?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
The avatar and the signature are two different things. The avatar (the image that appears under a member's name in the left colum) CAN be uploaded. First you must make the image that must be no bigger than 80 x 80 pixels and file size of (I think) no more than 14k. In other words - small! The image in the signature can be a little bigger, but still try to keep it relatively small so that people's browsers don't get bogged down too much every time they load a new page (especially a problem for those poor souls still using dialup modems.

To add an avatar go to your My Home page and choose to edit yor profile, then scroll down to the avatar section where you can either choose a standard forum avatar or it will give you the option to upload your own.

For signature images see Thiis Item in the Knowledge Base.

I have also PM'ed you with additional info.

Basil

OP
M

Mike74xke

Freshman Member
I have hundreds of pics of my 74 xke ots in different stages of restoration but i can't even send one. I guess there to large. I tried to send as an attachment, clicked on my pic, then hit submit. Message reads "you can not send a file larger than 200,000"

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
I have hundreds of pics of my 74 xke ots in different stages of restoration but i can't even send one. I guess there to large. I tried to send as an attachment, clicked on my pic, then hit submit. Message reads "you can not send a file larger than 200,000"

[/ QUOTE ]

Any decent image viewing software will allow you to resize images and save under different levels of image quality. For internet applications, you usually want to save the image as a .JPG of 72DPI (dots per inch) and a size of no bigger than 600 pixels (width).

FOr example, the image I have attached to this reply of my 1950 Daimler started out as a huge image (2048 x 1360) at 180 DPI with a file size of 1.2 Meg! All I did was resave it under a different name but resized it to a width of 600 pixels and medium quality JPG and the file size is a mear 50k! Yet the image quality is more than adequate for viewing on a browser.

Basil

Attachments

• 147985-IMG_0526b.jpg
    147985-IMG_0526b.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 54

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I think Windows 98 has built-in Kodak Imaging editing software. If you have a Scanner, it usually has image editing software too. Resizing is easy. Some programs do it by Pixels, others by Percentage (for example 50% of the original size or any other percentage). I just attached a file to a post and I also got the error message, so I went back and resized the image down by 30%, tried again, and it went through. One detail though: if your software has it, make sure you click on the "MAINTAIN ASPECT RATIO" option while resizing, otherwise the picture/image comes out all skewed and deformed.