• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Posted Elan pics from the show

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
We just did a show here in Abbotsford ( when it rains we just go indoors..)

It was lot'so fun even if I didn't win anything.
My theory is that the car is too small and simple looking to gather any appreciation for the work that goes into restoring it..

And of course it has no eye wash chrome either!

The car that won in our class was a beautiful MGA
that we had to tow to the show with a blown head gasket ( not RCA's ) from it's new surpercharger.

So the only non runner in the place won a trophy
Ha ha.. I liked that car anyway, running or not..!

I must have had old film cause the photo's in the gallery I just added are a bit grainy. If I get better ones I will switch them..

The car is running awesome, lot's of power and very smooth.. But I don't find the brakes grab very hard..I'm running the plus 2 rotors and calipers in front and they are cross drilled, but I don't have a booster..

Any thoughts?

Dave Thielke

Aw, cmon,
Just push harder, like all us old elan drivers used to.
You might explore different pads, I don't remember if the +2 had a booster or not, we never handled too many of them.
The car really looks great. Bet you never thought you'd spend so much time or have so much fun when you got it.
Have fun.
Dave T

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TypeRboy:
...But I don't find the brakes grab very hard..I'm running the plus 2 rotors and calipers in front and they are cross drilled, but I don't have a booster..

Any thoughts?
<hr></blockquote>
The brakes on mine were a hard push also. The cure was the softest pads I could get and braded brake lines. I got the pads from Dave Bean & they said at the time that they were the last "street" pads they had. By now they probably have more.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I've never seen a Miata *that* colour before?
jester.gif

HaHa...Just kidding! Very nice car!

Your car has a 5 speed Alfa trans?...Did I read that correctly?

OP
TypeRboy

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Thanks for the kind comments.. Yes I have an Alfa trans in the car. The ratio's are somewhat wider but the extra torque of the tall block takes advantage of that.. And cruising on the highway is great with the 5th gear.

I have had a few conversations about the brakes with Lotus owners, and a test drive..Apparently my brakes are above average.. I guess I am just too used to the Type R brakes..

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
How big is the motor?

How did you fill the gap in the cam chain cover with the tall block?

How is the alfa trans adapted on to the Ford block?

OP
TypeRboy

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Sorry for the late response, I've been very busy..

The motor is a 1600 block with the Lotus crank, gives me 1700 cc's exactly.. The timing chain has to have 122 links to work, and I have an aluminum spacer between the front of the head and the timing cover. I also have a longer timing chain guide rail and head to block oil return hose.

Not quite as rev happy as the original, but lot's of power all through the rev range.

The trans has a roughly 3/4 inch aluminum adapter to the lotus bell housing. The adapter is drilled to also allow the trans shifter rails to slide into it, as they slide into the Alfa housing. The clutch disc is the stock Alfa unit with the Lotus pressure plate and throw out bearing. I honestly can't remember if we had to machine for the bearing, it was so long ago, but I have all the blueprints for the adapter still. My friend made the first one up and then we made 5 copies ( long gone ). The driveshaft is modified to a bolt on front yolk, with the slider in the middle. You can use a solid driveshaft, but the slide makes an exact fit MUCH easier. There is not enough room for the Ford 5 speed from the Mustang, or this is the way I would have gone. The shifter on the Alfa trans comes out a little behind the stock hole for the Elan, and the frame has to be notched a bit for the trans at the shifter.

The speedo hookup is not a problem, but an access hole is necessary in the frame as the right angle speedo drive sticks out a bit. The cross member is custom as well, but no big deal.

This trans makes the motor tilt back in the frame, so clearance with the stock motor is no sweat, but with the tall block is a fine line between hitting the hood and having the carbs resting on the top of the foot well. The motor mounts have to be modified for position for sure.