• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Vacuum Advance

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Came across an article in tech section of AH club of new south wales australia on fixing them up, might be of interest to some

dklawson

Yoda
What exactly was done to fix them up? Was this article about a method of replacing the diaphragms or something else? If they've got suggestions on how to replace the diaphragms and what materials to use I'd love to have a link to that article.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI DK, I know what is done to repair one but I do not know if it is a DIY operation.What they do is cut the top section off and replace it with new including the diaphram. The rebuilt ones I have seen have had the new steel top section recrimped to the bottom using what appears to be a press and mold.--Fwiw---Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif---Shuggie, you got $40.00 Bucks!---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

dklawson

Yoda
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Keoke, I suspected that was the case. I've done similar repairs to some older Japanese cars where I un-crimped the rolled steel cap to remove the petrified and cracked diaphragm. I've used two-part silicone, wax molds, and pantyhose material to cast new diaphragms too... but I'd like to find a more friendly method of making such parts and performing these repairs.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What!! Chu don't have 40 bucks either?? DK if you can locate an old Hobby Shop they may have bulk gasket material for making head gaskets on model engines, it would be ideal for the diaphram.I use to use it for fuel pump repairs it is about 3/64" thick and came in 4" squares.It consisted of neoprene rubber and cord construction.---Keoke

dklawson

Yoda
Thanks Keoke, I'll check that out.

The reason I "cast" the diaphragms I've made is because they had rolling pleats in them from the factory instead of being flat. These weren't Lucas parts or for British cars though. I have yet to open up a Lucas vacuum advance.

90DegreesSouth

Freshman Member
Bronze
Country flag
Hello Doug,
I realize this thread is from 15 years ago, but I'm wondering about my vacuum advance. The one in my new (to me) Austin-Healey is obviously not working. It will not budge nor even register any vacuum on my little handheld MightyVac. I ordered a new one and when it arrived today I tested it on the MightyVac also; it pulls some vacuum, but will not hold it. Based on a video I had seen it would appear that the vacuum advance unit should hold whatever vacuum is created and not leak down. Is this correct? If so, my new unit is faulty. Here is reference video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4X6U-XFlGM
Apparently, the link to the New South Wales article is not accessible without membership to the club.
Thanks for help.
Mark