Thread: windshield gasket replacement on a TR-4

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

windshield gasket replacement on a TR-4

Any hints or warnings on replacing the rubber gasket on a windshield?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Re: windshield gasket replacement on a TR-4

It's pretty easy if you follow the directions in the workshop manual. Let us know if you need more information (hopefully you DO have a workshop manual).
    -- Andrew (Andy) Mace, VTR's Triumph 10/Herald/Sports 6 vehicle consultant and keeper of the North American Triumph Sports 6 and Herald Database

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unless the old one is REAL bad, and the glass is practicaly falling out already, cut it apart to get the glass out or you'll likley break the glass.
    Also get a bottle of dish soap (I like Joy, because its fragrence and dye free) to aid in the install.
    It also helps to use the "indian rope trick" of laying a stout cord in the outer groove of the rubber gasket, and using it to pull the lip through the window frame.
    It's a real good idea to ues a helper to keep pressure on the glass agenst the frame while pulling the lip through.
    Keep up hope! it's 100% easier than an MGB window.
    Current fleet:'70 VW Type 3 Fastback (Abby Normal),'74 VW Westfalia "pop-top" Bus (Clementine)'05 Scion XB (The flyin' Fridge)
    '08 VW Passat Turbo Wagon.no British goodies just now........
    Wanna know what's up at Banjo's? check out http://obscuramobilia.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One other suggestion, be careful removing the aluminum trim strip (has to come out first) not to bend or damage it. The only replacements available are chromed plastic and they tend to shrink. The original is much better, if kept in good condition and reused. Once the windshield is reinstalled, the aluminum trim goes in last. It helps "lock" everything in place, but might need some of that dish soap to help it go into the groove in the rubber gasket.
    Alan Myers
    San Jose, CA
    '62 TR4 CT17602L

"Get in. Sit down. Shut up. Hang on."

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I have the 1963 Shop manual, blue loose leaf. Nothing in it about replacing the glass. What shop manual are you referring to?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the reply. I have the 1963 Shop manual, blue loose leaf. Nothing in it about replacing the glass. What shop manual are you referring to?

[/ QUOTE ]Well, is my face red! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

You are correct; there's nothing specifically describing the glass replacement in either one of my factory TR4 manuals. I was thinking of my factory Herald manual, which does show and describe the process (much as others have here).

Please accept my apology!
    -- Andrew (Andy) Mace, VTR's Triumph 10/Herald/Sports 6 vehicle consultant and keeper of the North American Triumph Sports 6 and Herald Database

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I did mine a few months ago. I needed a helper, a jug of warm soapy water, and a jug of drinking water to replenish my dehydrated and exhausted self. I hope you're finished, and it went easy. For me, pulling the gasket back through the frame from the inside (without damaging the finish or interior molding, was really difficult and tedious. It's fun in a way, and rewarding, but have a buddy there to help. A pro might have done it easier, and some tools might have helped, but I couldn't find, make or imagine any. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info. You coming near South Carolina anytime soon ... I could use your expertise. Andy