• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Catherham 7

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Just wondering how close the Catherham 7 is to the Lotus 7? I know its basically designed after it, but in pure techncial merit, what are the pros and cons?
cowboy.gif

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
Suposedly Caterham was a big Lotus 7 dealer, and when Lotus phased it out, Caterham bought the rights to continue building it, first a few Mark IV's, then back to Mark III's. They have gotten a bit heavy as the years have passed, mainly because there are no tiny components out there to use any more. The rear end and transmission are Ford Sierra. They are more plush now too, with seats and everything. The bodies are simpler in detail now, particularly around the openings where the tie rods and headers penetrate the aluminum.

To me, they cost way too much. A real Lotus is much less expensive, even a very nice one. A Birkin is also much less expensive. I believe that Birkins are also authorized copies.

I like them, but I'm keeping my MK II.

[ 02-17-2003: Message edited by: Super 7 ]</p>

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Super 7:
Suposedly Caterham was a big Lotus 7 dealer, and when Lotus phased it out, Caterham bought the rights to continue building it, first a few Mark IV's, then back to Mark III's. They have gotten a bit heavuie as the years have passed, mainly because there are no tiny components out there to use any more. The rear end and transmission are Ford Sierra. They are more plush now too, with seats and everything. The bodies are simpler in detail now, particularly around the openings where the tie rods and headers penetrate the aluminum.

To me, they cost way too much. A real Lotus is much less expensive, even a very nice one. A Birkin is also much less expensive. I believe that Birkins are also authorized copies.

I like them, but I'm keeping my MK II.
<hr></blockquote>

Thanks! I would love to take a cross-country trip in a 7! They remoind me of a little Indy car! You should put a picture of your 7 in your signature (in you Profile)

Basil

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Some of the Caterhams have staggering performance despite the lack of Lotus originality.
They make different models for different tastes. If you want a lighter bare bones race type then just tick the box!

And thanks Basil for asking a question to bump start this forum.. even though you probably could tell us about Caterhams..
cheers.gif

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TypeRboy:

And thanks Basil for asking a question to bump start this forum.. even though you probably could tell us about Caterhams..
cheers.gif
<hr></blockquote>
You're welcome, but actually it was an honest question. I have seen Caterhams advertized for sale, and knew they were fasioned after the Lotus 7, but that's really all I knew! I would love to take one for a test spin one of these days - on a twisty-turny mountain road!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
If you really are interested in the Lotus 7, but think it's too expensive, there are lots of "clones", including a company in Florida that uses Chevy V6 parts as a basis.

The best-known clone is the "Locost 7"...here's the book on Locost construction:

https://www.locostmerchandise.7p.com/cgi-bin/i/images/Rons_Book.jpg

More on Locost cars:

https://www.locost-racing.com/

still more:

https://www.adelgigs.com/links.htm#other

My list of interesting "kit-type" cars:

https://npmccabe.tripod.com/sportscars.htm

sevenhead

Freshman Member
Everything about Caterham's can be found here. They occasionally say something about Lotus Sevens.

Lee

web page

[ 02-19-2003: Message edited by: sevenhead ]</p>

CraigFL

Jedi Trainee
The nicest thing about Caterham is that they make a stretched version called the SV. This way, we big guys can fit in them too. My favorite is the copy of the S7S3 -- bicycle fenders rather than the wing fenders...

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Saw a Caterham parked in Laguna Beach, CA yesterday. Typical green/alum color scheme. Left hand drive, racing belts, extinguisher. Not much room in the cockpit but it looked like it could turns some fast laps. I wish I had the camera ... never seem to have the camera when I need it!

Cheers, John