• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Three questions for you folks

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
How and where do you mount your front licence plates on your Elan's?

Second.. Do any of you have a spare set of sunvisors, or did an S2 not come with them?

Third.. For your seats is the seat adjuster on the outside or inside? The seats seem to fit in well on either side.

I also have one spare Elan seat and would like to pickup another one if you have something laying around..

Adamant

Freshman Member
I liked the style in the UK where the licence plate was on vinyl and applied directly to the paintwork. I wonder if it would be legal in the US to have a vinyl replica of the licence plate made and attached. You could still apply the annual tags on top of the vinyl plate.

lawguy

Jedi Knight
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Adamant:
...I wonder if it would be legal in the US to have a vinyl replica of the licence plate made and attached. You could still apply the annual tags on top of the vinyl plate.<hr></blockquote>

I think I can safely say "No."

It's nice to live in a state with no front plates.
wink.gif

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TypeRboy:
How and where do you mount your front licence plates on your Elan's?

Second.. Do any of you have a spare set of sunvisors, or did an S2 not come with them?

Third.. For your seats is the seat adjuster on the outside or inside? The seats seem to fit in well on either side.

<hr></blockquote>

The license plate mount appears to be a common problem outside the UK. I mounted mine in the center, below the "grille" opening. About an inch of the plate extended above the lower lip. I made a bracket out of very light aluminum that shared a bolt with the air cleaner way inside the nose. The plate bottom was not fixed to anything. I purposly made it flexible so it wouldn't break any plastic if I hit a curb or something. From the top it was tee shaped. A rubber bumper kept it from vibrating.

Can't help with the visors. The Coupe (early S3) had them.

The seat adjusters were on the inside, at least on the driver's side. Don't remember about the passenger side.

OP
TypeRboy

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Ok I'll fashion a bracket for the plate. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't just missing the correct part.

Thanks for the info on the seats.. The adjustment is easier to get to when it's on the inside for sure..

Dave Thielke

Front Plates
No matter how you try, it just don't work right.
If I remember right, the later elans had a flat area on the front bumper, this really looked bad, but at the time, the local gendarmes were a little t'd off at small cars (southern Calif.) and handed out tickets for plates too low, etc. so we had to mount them there untill off the showroom floor. I also made a hinged mount for mine and took my chances.
The european plate would sure be better for the front, I agree.
I'look thru some old photos to see if any show the sun visors.
As we used to say in our Lotus adds: "Are we having any fun yet?"

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
I never had one on either Elan. My Seven has never had one either. It is illegal I guess, but has never been a problem.

OP
TypeRboy

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aeronca65t:
Here's how I did it on my "Hiroshimo Elan", if that's any help......

https://npmccabe.tripod.com/miata.htm
<hr></blockquote>

Wow that's a lot of work for moving the plate about a foot! Good on you though...