• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Why be careful with brake fluid!

Basil

Administrator
Boss
This is a picture of a Lotus Europa that I snappoed while visiting "Jacks Toy Store" in Huntesville, AL. The owner (or someone) had spilled brake fluid (I think) on the paint. The result is evident in this picture
frown.gif

jacklotus_1.jpg

Dave Thielke

Ouch, that's gotta hurt!
It looks too dark for a brown one, I remember we sold a few black twin-cams, I usually had fun decorating them in the show room with gold pinstriping, ala the JPS cars.
Dave T bluspit@attbi.com

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Oh and you know the fluid won't stop at the paint. Someone will be digging out quite a bit of fiberglass.. That hurts..

racing girl

Jedi Knight
Not long after I first started working at Aston Martin, a Lagonda saloon came into our service department for a full respray. The car was less than a year old, so why, I wondered, did it need a respray? Well, it had been parked up in a very nice, upmarket London residential street and some kind soul had dumped a gallon can of paint stripper over the roof! I don't think that any panel on the car escaped damage as the liquid ran all over the roof, down the windows and onto the rest of the car. Sick what some people will do.
frown.gif

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Man that's just nasty..

MattP

Jedi Knight
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by racing girl:
Not long after I first started working at Aston Martin, a Lagonda saloon came into our service department for a full respray. The car was less than a year old, so why, I wondered, did it need a respray? Well, it had been parked up in a very nice, upmarket London residential street and some kind soul had dumped a gallon can of paint stripper over the roof! I don't think that any panel on the car escaped damage as the liquid ran all over the roof, down the windows and onto the rest of the car. Sick what some people will do.
frown.gif
<hr></blockquote>

I had some friends who had thier very well cared for Chevy Caprice. (not the same class, I know but bear with me.) Anywhoo, it got stolen, and when they got it back it was fine, except the busted column and a greyish dust all over the car. When he went to the carwash, the stuff ate off the paint and etched the metal. I have always wondered what that stuff was.

MattP

lawguy

Jedi Knight
Years ago when I worked at a car dealership, we used to bleed brakes on our drive-on lift, sometimes without a catch can. There were 4 large spots, one at each corner where the industrial quality, baked on paint had been completely removed from the lift. Nope, don't mess with the stuff.