• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

"PECUS E" error and more

Optijock

Freshman Member
The Check Engine light on my 1997 XK-8 came on so I took the car in for service. The service people claimed it had to do with the controller for the variable valve timing. They replaced some the valve contoller and attempted to update the programming and experienced problems with the programming. Now not only do I have the Check Engine light on all the time, but I have both the red and yellow warning lights blinking and a PECUS E error on my information display. I am now told that one of the computers must be replaced ($5K) and I just noticed that my radio now displays NO FM when you try to tune to FM stations. Clearly, a lot has gotten messed up during this service visit, but they seem unable/unwilling to properly program and fix the automobile.

First - does anyone understand what the PECUS E error means and why they are encountering difficulties reprogramming the computer?

Second - why should any of this affect the FM radio?

Third - Any suggestions on how to proceed.

To make matters worse, I noticed that they had scratched the car along the entire passenger car side while they had been working on it - I cannot believe that service from a Jaguar dealer could be so bad.
Thanks - Opitjock

Third -

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
I would be writing some STRONG letters to Jaguar headquarters and a few other places. You should not have to pay for this.

Bruce

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Agreed.....contact Jaguar HQ immediately. This isn't right at all. My father had an issue with work done on his XJ sedan (damage to the sump) and they were of help. He's going to try and find the name of his contact there for you.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
First of all you need to contact the General Manager at the dealership. You should have you recipt handy, and so on. Explain to the GM about shoddy service, sending you out with a defective car, damage on the lot etc. Be polite but firm. He should be able to schedule a visit by the Jag rep. They also have traveling tech reps. If your check engine lights are blinking it is trying to tell you that either you are operating the car in an unsafe condition, or that you are doing damage to the car. Stop driving the car right now. Get a rental, and call the dealership first thing monday AM. If they sent you out in a broken car, the onus is on them, if you keep driving it, you will take the blame.Most manufacturers will use any excuse to weasel out of paying,so don't give them one. Another thing, by federal law most big dollar emission parts, and a lot of engine management stuff is covered by warrenty for 8 years, or 80,000 miles. Take out the owners manual and read the relevent sections. Jaguar has given a fund to the dealers to be used for "goodwill" repairs, so even if you are over on time or mileage, they still may pay. I took a quick glance thru Alldata, and I did not find anything about a PECUS error. Good luck

R6MGS

Yoda
I've only had mine for a few months and am preparing for somthing like this to happen(so far, so good)...please post about how everything works out.

Thanks
Zack