• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jag V-12 in a streetrod?

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifAllright guys, educate me on this one. I mostly play with Triumphs and domestics, so I don't know too much about Jags.(I am trainable though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) That being said, in a couple of years I'm planning on building a street-rod of some sort out of an Austin Cambridge. I bought the car as someone else's abandoned project. He had cut the floor out of it and installed the body on a Toyota truck chassis and installed a For 302. He also cut the top off and and converted it to a 2 door. Basiacally it's a basket case that need to be redone from the start. I'm hoping to install a narrowed Jag rearend under it and am not 100% certain of the front suspension, but the truck stuff needs to go. This car is pretty unique so installing a American V-8 in it is out of the question. I've been toying with the idea of prehaps a Jag V-12 or atleast a 6. Any thoughts? I can probably locate a complete wrecked XJ-12 to use as a donor for reasonable price. I'm not looking to build something that'll run 12's out at the track, just a cruiser. What are the pro's and cons? Thanx in advance!

John S Farrington

Jedi Warrior
The pros are the V12 is an awsomely smooth engine with power to spare. It has great longevity as long as you dont overheat the cylinder heads. The engine can be had with four carburetors (ZSs) as long as you are willing to accept about 10 MPG fuel economy. The fuel injected versions from 1983 on will get almost 18MPG but you will have to contend with various ECUs and solid state ignition systems that will have to be accomodated. The V12 also bolts up to a GM hydramatic. (type 400) I would not recommend the earlier versions of the fuel injection (between 1977 and 1981) due to reliability and scarcity of parts.
The cons are the size and complexity of the engine and the ECU hook up problem if you select fuel injection. Allow a lot of engine compartment space and access room. The custom installation will probably require a lot of hand tailoring and de-bugging. You will need a lot of accessability or the project will turn into a nightmare. On the other hand, the XJ6 with the XK block or the XJ40 are great engines and would probably be alot easier to work out installation. The Xk block is also available in carbureted forms using either ZS or SU configurations.
Good luck. A British car should have a British power plant!!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There's a pretty solid/straight Austin Cambridge in a salvage yard in Vernon, AL

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Since the idea is to build a street rod you have no choice. You must use the V-12!

The six is strong, powerful, reliable, lighter, more space efficient, easier to work on, yada, yada, yada..., all wonderful things for an E-type.

Half the fun of a rod is pulling into Retro-Burger on cruise night and popping the hood to see everybody's jaws drop. That's a job for Coventry's "Big Block".

EFI or carb? Your call, depends on the look/feel/flavor/workload you're interested in. You going to be commuting in this thing to an office 50 miles from home every day? I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage difference unless you're really planning on racking up the real estate crossings.

And it's aluminum, you can polish the whole darn thing!

PC.

John S Farrington

Jedi Warrior
I guess I have to support PC. A Jaguar 12 cylinder engine in parade dress at a Sonic Burger would be a priceless trip and the impact of pulling the hood (bonnet) on a polished V 12 with or without carburetors would be the ultimate trip on four wheels. My advice was slanted to the practicality of the conversion but PC's cosmetic and dramatic impact of a street rod of that ilk wins over practicality. Go for the V 12 and if I were close to Colorado, I would be there cheering every day for the project. Best Regards, Jack

OP
frankenstang57

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
100_1672.sized.jpg

100_1671.sized.jpg

100_1676.sized.jpg

Thanx for the responces! I'm not sure if I'd go injected or with a carb. I guess that just depends on the donor. If I do go with injection, I'd most likely use a MegaSquirt stand alone engine management sys. than the stock. I have friends who swear by them. Here's a few pictures of what it looks like now. I do have the front and rear glass for it, which is a bonus! tonny, does the Cambridge in the 'yard have any trim left on it, or any interior parts?

John S Farrington

Jedi Warrior
I want to see your shoe horn that you have for this conversion. I might want to replicate it to use in the Toy Store. Best Regards, Jack.

MattP

Jedi Knight
OK, now you have me thinking naughty things about the MGB. Shame on you.