• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How many US Elise Waiters out there?

RJay

Freshman Member
Just curious how many of you out there are on waiting lists for the 2003 Elise here in the US? I've been waiting thirty years for this, since the demise of the Elan/Europa and the move upscale. I just can't believe its finally coming. Has there been any further word as to speification?

Wingtip

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
Welcome to the forum RJay!
savewave.gif
The Elise is definitely a very sharp looking little car and, while I can't say I'm in line to buy one, I sure would like to test drive one - that might convince me. According to one of the other threads here, it is going to sticker for around $38k, does that sound about right? Are you on the list for one of these little gems?

George

D

Devin

I would definitely consider one if only the price would come down just a tad. I can see it being a bit more than, say, a Miata, but my goodness, 38k-plus? You can just about buy a new Corvette for that can't you? I could see maybe high 20's or even low 30's, but isn't 38+ a might steep?
Still, it is a beautiful car
thumbsup.gif

Devin

OP
R

RJay

Freshman Member
Yep, I'm on the list, kinda...the local dealer isn't taking deposits, but is taking names, apparently well over 20 at the moment. Trying to avoid an M250 debacle I guess. The 38K figure seems reasonable to me...in fact its relatively cheap. If I recall my numbers correctly the Elan was around 4k in 1967 which was about the price of a Corvette at the time. Its rather funny actually, if this were bicycles, people would be happy to pay gobs of money for a 50% reduction in weight. I haven't driven the Elise, but having had experience with the Elan/Europa/Sevens, I suspect will be more than happy. If the money worries you, just remember that a Vette will get a realistic <18mpg and the insurance will be steep. The Elise will probably do ~30 and insurance has to be far less, so you get some of it back over time.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Welcome to our humble forum, RJay! I don't think 38k is out of line for a relatively exotic car like the Elise, but I can understand some people's reluctance at that price. I agree with everything you said, except one small detail - the new C5 Corvette gets amazing gas mileage for a car with 350 hp stock. The older Vettes, you are right...they were relative gas hogs, but not so with the new C5. In part due to its having one of the lowest coefficients of drag of any production car made and also its much lighter weight than earlier vetts, coupled with a 6-speed manual gearbox, the new C5 Coupe(excluding the Z06) gets better that 32MPG on the highway and low to mid 20's around town. They truely are amazing these new Vettes.

That is not to take anything away from the Elise - I would love to have one...definitely can't wait to see one! Do you have any idea when you might get yours? Make sure you stay on the good side of the dealer - send him a Christmas card and candy for Valentines
grin.gif

Cheers, and welcome again
Basil
savewave.gif

PS - be sure to tell all your Lotus friends about our forum (admittedly, we need more Lotus guys here!). Instead of
www.britishcarforum.com
you can tell them to check out www.Lotuscarforum.com and it will bring them here also
grin.gif

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

Mick Opalak

Freshman Member
I plan on getting one also, around fall of '03 or spring of '04. Thinking about BRG...

Does any one know of a location on the web where I can find .mpg files of the S2 Elise?

OP
R

RJay

Freshman Member
I have a couple of friends with C5s...quick poll...they do about as well as my 911 on average at 18 MPG. Oh and thats NOT using the power often. A older Car and Driver article on the C5 states: "The numbers: 3618 miles in 132 hours; no tickets; 157 gallons of gas, with overall mileage a respectable 23 mpg. " Clearly some real high speed was likely, but I'm sure the Elise is easily capable of 50 to 100% better MPG under similar circumstances. Not that the C5 is that bad, but the Elise has to be at least 50% better...OTOH service costs, reliability...well...

Frankly one of the great appeals of the Elise to me is its green-ness. I've sadly watched my self sink in to the gas guzzler abyss as my GT cars ( I refuse to call them Sports cars) get heavier and heavier. I won't feel quite as guilty stompin the pedal of the Elise as I do in my 911.

In any case, I was fairly quick on the trigger here and I'm around number 20 so far. I suspect that puts me into Summer of 2004 at least so in the meantime I'll be toughing it out in this (sorry I know this supposed to be British cars but nobody really want to see a pic of my Disco do they
wink.gif
:

https://www.986host.com/albums/RJay/B59SideViewWeb.sized.jpg

evil-1

Freshman Member
They must be lead foot's to get that kind of low milage.My modified vette presently at 375HP returns 20mpg arround albuquerque nm,30 hwy in sixth gear @ 80mph.
A friend of mine's vette was dynoed at 422rwhp\390rwtq and on his last trip from CA. averaged 32 mpg at 80mph.
No fish story, actually a shark story.These car's put out amazing power and remain very efficient,with world class handling.
they are still large sports cars (coupes\roadsters)compared to the original roadsters of the brits,and remain not a true roadster to alot of die hard brit sport car lovers.
Thats ok, I love alot of sports cars but favor the corvette (C5).....

OP
R

RJay

Freshman Member
"They must be lead foot's to get that kind of low milage."
Maybe...but this is the NorthEast...cold weather, heavy, heavy humid air at sea level and traffic only second to LA. I live 8 miles from work in the 'country-side' just outside of Boston. At 5:30 AM when I come in it takes about 12-15 minutes. If I were to attempt to arrive here at 9 AM, it takes about 40-45 minutes. That has a pretty profound effect on fuel consumption.

BTW, this provokes and interesting thought, anyone know the what temp & humidity that the Gov does mileage its testing at? One presumes a controlled environment.

Oh and sorry abou the link...perhaps this will work...
https://www.986host.com/gallery/RJay

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Ok, I'll fess up here - I own a 2000 C5. I guess it does make a big difference where you live and how you drive, but for the record, in town I average 23-24 MPG in stop and go traffic and on the Highway (I regularly drive Albuquerque to Colorado Springs, I get close to 34 MPG! But your point about "using power" is right. I drive fairly conservative and rarely put the hammer down
hammer.gif
(have not had a speeding ticket in over 30 years), but I do occassionally open it up a bit. Of all the cars I own, which includes the XKE, the Triumph Spitfire, and two Saturns, I can honestly say that the C5 gets by far the best mileage. But again, like you said, alot depends of where you live, how you drive, etc etc. I suspect if I really wanted to, I could get 12 MPG (and lot of tickets
grin.gif
)

But enough about Corvette -- back to the Elise - that is truly a no-frills Sports car! I suspect they will have no problems selling them in the states as it is so exotic. I'll bet you can't wait to get your hands on one! Probably if I didn't already have the Jag project to pour my money into, I would seriously consider one myself. Does anyone know of any links to good pictures of the Elise?

Basil

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

evil-1

Freshman Member
That would make a big dif., that's why I posted, need to be talking apple's to apple's.
There's alot of variables when your talking MPG as you mentioned in your reply...
Good luck with your purchase.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss

William

Darth Vader
Saw a new Elise at the Chicago Auto Show a few weeks back. Black, quite shiny, roped off so I could not look inside and see if I even fit in the darned thing. The person manning the display did not know what kind of car it was (okay, it was a Shell sponsored exotic car display, but still, even my Mom knows what a Lotus is!)
-William

Kent1999

Freshman Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RJay:
Just curious how many of you out there are on waiting lists for the 2003 Elise here in the US? <hr></blockquote>

Hello All,

Brand new to this forum, so this will be my first post. Just for a little background, I currently drive a 97 Corvette, and a 95 MX-5 Miata, and live in the Salt Lake City, Utah area of the USA. And maybe similar to some of you, I am the biggest car nut I know!

I really like the looks and lightweight of the new Elise, and while I'm not on the waiting list (yet), I am currently trying to figure out how to swing the 38.5K price tag so that I *may* get on a list!
smile.gif

Speaking of price, do you think the Elise will actually sell for $38.5K here in the USA, or will there be gouging? I would think that with only 1000 to 2000 per year of these wonderful little cars coming in to the USA, prices would be much higher than list. If this happens, I'm DEFINITELY out of luck, since the sticker price is already a little out of reach for me.

Nice "meeting" all of you!
savewave.gif

Cheers,
Kent

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: Kent1999 ]</p>

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Welcome to the forum Kent! I would be surprise if the prices didn't get jacked up (like the Miata when it first came out), but hopefully once the newness wears off, they would come down a little. I would like to "get on the list" too, but 38k is a tad steep for me at present. I can't wait to see one of these gems in person.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Basil

GeorgeH

Freshman Member
Another Miataforum transplant here!

I've got a deposit on an Elise, #18 in line at Park Place Motors. Hopefully this will all pan out and Lotus will deliver a great car. Initially, $38k seemed a bit steep to me as well, particularly when you consider that the UK version ships with a 120 hp 1.8. It seems to me that a $38k car should come with a great motor, as opposed to a serviceable one. Heck, even the 1.8 in my '94 Miata is rated at 128 hp.

However, if Lotus can deliver the Elise with a more sophisticated powerplant, such as the rumored Toyota mill, I'd feel much better about the asking price. 180 hp & 1700 lbs - that's worth some serious money (to me).

I also relate to the previous poster's comment about bicycles - losing pounds costs $$$ - and I've got the bikes in my garage to prove it!

Take care all,

George

S2Elan

Freshman Member
Hi Everyone! I'm new to the forum today after seeing it mentioned on Miata.net. I would love to have an Elise, but that all has to get worked out with the wife before hand. She's still
mad.gif
at me for selling the M100. I have to not only figure out a way to keep my '66 S2 Elan, and the Miata, but how to be an
angel.gif
and give some loving hints that we need an Elise, and that we can somehow afford one. I'll start with the need part and worry about later.

cheers.gif
,Russ

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'd love to be one that list but my income level just won't allow it. Maybe I can pick up a used in 3-4 years.