• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Evaluating a modded TVR

G

I've been a fan of TVRs for ages. If they were selling them new here now I'd be on line in a heartbeat.

I just saw a 2500M for sale on Ebay (#4582134251). Needs some work, needs paint, but it's been modded to have a 351 and a slushbox.

Not knowing the market for TVRs that well, I was wondering a few things about it.
1. How do the mods affect the value? Does it kill it, or do TVR owners here not care.
2. What is the market like for TVRs here? I've only seen about 5 on Ebay over the last few months, so it's not like they are everywhere...

Thanks in advance, Alan

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My biggest problem with a 2500M having a 351 in it is that is just way too much engine for the car. Some people build up cars out of sheer stupidity than anything else and that one sounds like how it was built.

OP
G

Walter,

I'm curious as to why you'd say that. I mean there are plenty of TR6s with v8s in them - 302s, 351s and bigger. If a 2500M weighs in at 2200lbs then it's within 50lbs of a TR6, so does that mean that you think a v8 is too much for a -6, or that the chassis/suspension/drivetrain/brakes on the 2500 can't take it, or something else entirely.

I'm not trolling here - I'm truly curious.
Alan

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
OK, TVR made a number of cars with the V8s Think Griffiths and so on. They also made 25-26 Tuscans with 289 hi-pos and at least 2 with boss 302s. To the best of my knowlege they all used top loader 4 speeds. They also all used the earlier vixen frame. Those cars were all rocket sleds. Like a Cobra, only they really handled. I have had the pleasure of putting a few thousand miles at the wheel of one of these. The car on ebay started as a 2500m. This uses a stronger frame. As long as the frame was not cut to install the engine/trans combo, it should be fine. Be advised though, this is not a car that will suffer fools gladly. The V8 tvrs are beasts, and can be really scary in the wet, for instance. Also, did they change the diff? I think that TVR used the TR6 diff until about 76. After that they used the salisbury from a Jag. I think it is a bolt in job for the most part, but I think the axles werte "Funny". There were also a couple of weld in tabs on the bottom of the frame to keep the diff mounts from twisting. I have been out of the TVR scene for a few years, so I don't have a clue about current parts availability. The bottom line is, if the conversion was done professionally, and safely, the car should be alright. If not, it could be never ending headache. I looked at it on ebay also, and it is even close by, however, I already have enough going on in my so called life,so I am going to pass. Hope this helps

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My biggest beef is with people doing the job themselves, and not doing it right. Most of the time, they will leave in weaker things like the rear end, or just do a sloppy job. These types of cars tend to be built by idioits rather than pros, or at least joes who can work like a pro. As for the general comment about it being too much engine, I do think that a V8 is overkill in such a car (TVR 2500M or TR6), especially when the owner could have tuned up the Triumph 6 cylinder that powers both cars, and have gotten a very nice running pretty quick car.

OP
G

Fair enough - I'm big on doing it once and doing it right so no arguments there. I'm Not sure I agree with the V8 thing, but in this instance I'm more concerned with whether it kills any value and resale the vehicle has. If I tell my wife I've bought two 70's cars this year with the intention of sinking a bundle into each to keep them then she'll either emasculate or divorce me. Not sure which would be worse at this juncture....

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Well, I guess that is it in a nut shell. If the conversion was done well, with thought and planning, and good "work habits", it might enhance the value.If not, it is just a parts car TVR. The Canadian TVR importer did a few V8 conversions, that he called the 5000 M. These cars are worth more than a comparible 2500. I have seen a lot of TVRs with different engines. I have seen a very tweeked Mazda rotary, Chevy V6s, Rover V8s etc. Most of these were carried out well, and none were automatics. The fact that this car is an auto makes me wonder about the mechanical skills of the converter. Still, if roadworthy, you should embarass Corvettes.

Hayfever

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
The Canadian TVR importer did a few V8 conversions, that he called the 5000 M.

[/ QUOTE ]

John Wadman (TVR North America, in Toronto) made 10. Marshall Moore (TVRCCNA President, mrtvr on this forum) has a 302 Taimar that I think is one of the 10. Number 9 (another Taimar) was on ebay a week or 2 ago.

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
Just to weigh in as a TVR owner albiet with a Wedge, my 2 cents is that if the job was done right, the car can handle it as the frames being full Tubular are very stought. Of more concern would be if the brakes were upgraded to handle the power as you can add a couple of buck$ there. Another consideration would be heat as the 2500's along with most TVR's don't ventilate real well unless they are a drop top. V8 engines put out alot of heat and you will need to deal with that too. As to value, they all are worth a pretty good amount but if the job is a kluge, then as someone else said it is basically a parts car.

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
OK, I'll put my two cents worth in. Yes, I have a 1978 Taimar with the 302 H.O. engine and T5 transmission. The conversion was done when the car had only aboaut 5,000 miles on it by Master British Mechanic Don Ensley in Michigan (not one of John Wadman's 10 that he did) and Don did a masterful job with no cutting and it looks as though it was done at the factory. The car is very well balanced, handles like a go-kart and also stops well. My car came with the Salisbury rear end so no problems there.
As for value, in the past two and a half years since buying my Taimar, I have seen the values of V8 cars, that are correctly done and in nice condition, bring very strong prices both on the open market and on eBay. However, those that are less professionally done, bring far less, as you would expect. Several traded hands a year or two ago in the low to mid $20,000 range. The quality of the work on the conversion is the key.