• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Stripped Threads

SteveHall64Healey

Jedi Trainee
On my BJ8, the lower bolt on the clutch slave cylinder stripped it’s hole in the bell housing. Any suggestions on how to deal with this - ideally without hauling the gearbox out?

Last edited by a moderator:

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Re: Stripped thread - any advice?

To fix properly, I'd be thinking heli-coil.

Wonder if this would work in lieu of pulling the trans: take an 8mm bolt and cut a couple of lengthwise notches with a grinder to make it into a self-tapping screw, then run it in with maybe blue or orange loctite.

Jack T

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Steve, before you give up, try a slightly longer bolt. I thought one of mine had stripped but discovered the bolt wasn't reaching good threads.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
I agree with Steve. Heli coil ought to do it.

OP
S

SteveHall64Healey

Jedi Trainee
great suggestions everyone - thanks. I will try the longer bolt first, then try chasing the thread. If that fails resort to thread repair. What would be the advantage of a thread repair kit over drilling out the hole and starting a slightly large threaded hole - presumably with the next closest larger size?

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
great suggestions everyone - thanks. I will try the longer bolt first, then try chasing the thread. If that fails resort to thread repair.

Not a big issue, but you would have two different fasteners holding the cylinder in place. Now might be a good time to modify one of them by cutting off the head and making it into a pin to allow for easier removal/bleeding as while you need two to locate the cylinder on the housing you only need one to hold it in place.

Last edited:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
All good suggestions above! To add to the list, my choice of threaded insert is called a Keensert. Basically, it's a steel threaded insert that has wedges that are driven home to lock the insert in. Here's a short video.

Country flag
I rethreaded my BJ8's bellhousing last time I had it out; previously, I'd made do with some 'make-a-thread' goop that worked well enough (those bolts aren't particularly stressed). IIRC, I used 'ThreadSert,' not 'HeliCoil' brand, which are equivalent. 3/8" 'fine'--24tpi if I'm not mistaken--bolts are used all over on Big Healeys, so it pays to have a kit handy (in particular, they're used for the front shock mounts, which are easy enough to strip). I use red (strongest) threadlocker on inserts, and I've never had one come out. Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to drill and tap for inserts in situ.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
There are four ideas given. Chase threads, longer bolt, thread insert, and making is a stud by cutting the bolt head and red threadlock it in. Access is the key I would make both the same. As a rule fine threads tend to strip in Alum. easley so having both the same and studs this can not happen again. Madflyer

OP
S

SteveHall64Healey

Jedi Trainee
These are all great ideas. However, I got lucky and a fresh bolt with blue threadlocker is holding well. Next time I have to service the slave cylinder, I plan to attempt to replace the thread with heli-coil or the like.

Steve

Country flag
All the Healey gearboxes I rebuilt got this upgrade. Keeps the factory-spec'd fasteners too.

IMG_7439.jpg