• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Back in the day

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
141858335_1719405584900197_1567814040326934480_n.jpg

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Funny!
I was watching a car show with the Mrs. the other day and they were modifying with an actuated swing out taillight. She asked me if the engineers ever thought that putting gas and electric in the same spot was a good idea or not.
Did that ever cause problems for this car, like fires or anything?

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Funny!
I was watching a car show with the Mrs. the other day and they were modifying with an actuated swing out taillight. She asked me if the engineers ever thought that putting gas and electric in the same spot was a good idea or not.
Did that ever cause problems for this car, like fires or anything?
You mean like a Lucas electric fuel pump?

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Good Point!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Not heard of any wide-scale issues over the tail-light being the refueling port. The "protect us from ourselves" movement didn't come along until a bit later.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Probably no problem with gas and electric but mounting an SU fuel pump over the exhaust pipe wasn’t that uncommon.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
See how many of the young mechanic/techs can find the fuel filler on the Tri-fives, Cadillacs and Buicks from the 50s and 60s. Or the fuel dumpers with the filler behind the license plate.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Also a design practice for some European - French - cars. Our 1958 Peugeot 403, a station wagon version of Columbo's 403 convertible, had the same fuel filler arrangement. We loved it as kids! Papa's old 403 is on display at the Peugeot museum in France.