• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Glovebox Hardware

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I am refinishing my dashboard and notice that the screws in the mix of parts are perhaps wrong. This car is an early BJ8. Are the screws for the glovebox hinges and other parts, a Philips or straight slot? Both are in the box I have, but nothing is labeled. I bought the car as a project.

Jerry

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Very Helpful chart. I actually bought that when it was on a CD many, many years ago but have misplaced it somewhere.
The other interesting find on my dashboard. There is newspaper stuck to the back of it, and numbers written on the back also. The numbers are 27 and 25. Those don't match anything on my Heritage certificate.

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I found a website that showed some of the screw used in the glovebox. The hinges on a 67 BJ8 used straight slot screws, the other screws were phillips. Strange that they would use a mixtures of the two types of screws.
I also found that you can't see the screw heads on the glove box hinges once the door is in place so it really does not matter!
Jerry

Country flag
Correct. The hinge is chromed and uses chromed slotted screws and the rest are Phillips or pozi. Actually, the bottom hinges screws are visible when the door is open (on mine anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
Country flag
Newspaper? Never saw that on the two wooden dashes I worked on. Maybe the guy who worked on the glove box last did the work on the paper so the wife didn't yell at him for working on the dining room table. The numbers were probably to aid in matching the wood grain on the dash. The door pattern/grain should be continuous with the surround.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I also had numbers on the back of the dash and glove box. That was from the factory as I know my car had never been apart since new.
PDR_0451.jpg

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I would bet this car had never been apart. The odometer said 56000 miles. The overdrive and transmission had never been apart. I bought the car in pieces from a lady who had it in her garage for at least 40 years. She bought it for her husband and son to work on together. They never touched it!
I am waiting for a few more parts for the overdrive to put that back together. Engine is done. Frame and substructure are done. Body work is about half done. Slow and steady!
Jerry

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I now have the Burl Walnut glued on and am awaiting my Envirotex epoxy for the finish. I found the last bottle I had bought and it turned a golden hue! I think it has been about 6 years since I used it last. I went ahead and mixed up a little batch and it did set up, but the coloring is too dark.
Jerry