• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Have exchanged one leak for another.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
When I moved the car out of the garage to finish the work on the OD I noticed a wet spot on the garage floor. It was antifreeze from the engine block drain valve.

It was replaced when I did the engime a couple of years ago. Called TRF to order one but they said they were out of stock and could not get any because of quality issues. (Leaking after 2 years?) I do not know where my one came from but plan to plug it up leaving the drain valve in place to look original. It is just about impossible to reach if you have the carb hear shield fitted.

While looking for my spare valve I came across these. Got left off when I installed the engine last time.
Engine mount plates s.jpg
As I have to remove the engine mount bolts to fit the brackets I plan to try to scoot the engine forward a fraction as the yellow plastic fan is almost hitting the cross tube.

David

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
That's good news that that drain valve is able to leak...since it gets clogged up if the inside of the engine gets scaly. So that's a bright side to look at?!?

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Yeah, I tried to repair the petcock on my TR250 and it is leaking as well....I tried to order a new one from Moss but like TRF, they are out of stock. I’m just going to use a regular plug and fibre washer that Moss does have in stock..

Cheers,
Tush

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Another thought...if you take the valve apart and reassembly using thick grease it should seal until you find a replacement valve or plug.

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I had the same problem so i used a cheep Chinese job from an old compressor, it's a tapered thread with a bonus outlet thread to attach a hose to direct the water away from the engine and chassis and because its under the manifold who will know?IMG_1865.jpg

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Another thought...if you take the valve apart and reassembly using thick grease it should seal until you find a replacement valve or plug.

Does reassembling with JB weld count? :wink-new:

Cheers,
Tush

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Both sound like good options! I spent a lot of time making mine dry, but can't say I have ever used it to actually drain the block.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I drained the system so I could remove the lower radiator hose so I could get to the driver side front engine mount bolt. Having got all the coolant out I removed the block valve and was surprised how much water came out of the block. The block is clear as it is only 2 years since the rebuild.

First attempt was with grease on the valve but it still leaked. Second attempt I put some candle wax in the valve on the engine side then warmed the valve to melt the wax. So far it is holding. I did not dismantle the valve as I could see getting the split pin back in could be a problem.

On the other job I did manage to move the engine forward a fraction giving me a little more clearance on the fan.

David

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Those %$*@!! valves always leak! I just replace them with a plug. It's a bit harder to reach, but it's not like I drain the coolant every week.

For my TR engine, I soft-soldered a washer to a bolt, creating a kind of flange bolt, and made a plastic washer from Delrin. It's not leaking (so far!)
plug.jpg