• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Starting to restore my second TR3

Joel Lester

Country flag
Hi guys! Just posting this so I can get ride of that annoying guy on my screen with the mustache! LOL! All kidding aside... I've recently obtained my second TR3. I sold my first TR3A (Red) about 15 years ago. So, I'm familiar with the cars and have a pretty good understanding of them. My "new one" is black and lived most of it's life in the Seattle area so it hasn't been exposed to salty roads albeit it has been in very wet conditions! I recently moved to Canada (Vancouver Island to be exact) from Seattle. I'm starting to replace the floor pans and outer sills. The inner sills are intact much to my delight! I'm going to teach myself how to MIG weld - I just bought the welder so I'm taking a big leap of faith that I'll do OK with it. From what I've read and seen on YouTube it shouldn't be too bad - key word "shouldn't". Anyhow, during a recent internet search I got directed to the thread on the British Car forum about the TR2 body restoration. It seems to be a wealth of information and I'm thinking I'll be referring to that quite often.
Cheers! and I look forward to interacting with you guys on the coming months/years and I move through this restoration.
Joel Lester

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Welcome Joel - glad to have you aboard and hope your will not be a stranger (that little guy 'might" come back to haunt you LOL).

Do post a picture or two if you have a chance.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Joel

Welcome to the forum.

You will find the Triumph section is very active so you are sure to get plenty of tips and advice for your TR3 project.

Is the TIG welder fitted with gas shielding or flux core wire? You get less splatter with gas. Practice on scrap pieces of metal the same thickness as the car.

David

Ckadams00

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi guys! Just posting this so I can get ride of that annoying guy on my screen with the mustache! LOL! All kidding aside... I've recently obtained my second TR3. I sold my first TR3A (Red) about 15 years ago. So, I'm familiar with the cars and have a pretty good understanding of them. My "new one" is black and lived most of it's life in the Seattle area so it hasn't been exposed to salty roads albeit it has been in very wet conditions! I recently moved to Canada (Vancouver Island to be exact) from Seattle. I'm starting to replace the floor pans and outer sills. The inner sills are intact much to my delight! I'm going to teach myself how to MIG weld - I just bought the welder so I'm taking a big leap of faith that I'll do OK with it. From what I've read and seen on YouTube it shouldn't be too bad - key word "shouldn't". Anyhow, during a recent internet search I got directed to the thread on the British Car forum about the TR2 body restoration. It seems to be a wealth of information and I'm thinking I'll be referring to that quite often.
Cheers! and I look forward to interacting with you guys on the coming months/years and I move through this restoration.
Joel Lester
Hello Joel - just about to tackle some floor pans myself and wondering if you learned anything you could pass along doing you pans?

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Before you remove any part of the floor or remove the body from the frame brace the door gaps by welding some angle into the door openings. Cross braces would be a good idea as well.

There is a great book by Roger Williams How to Restore Triumph TR2, 3, 3A, 4. & 4A
David