• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New member already looking for advice

georgewcole

Freshman Member
Hello all,

Just joined up. As a retired guy with a heated, air conditioned and dehumidified garage I've gotten myself a '53 MG TD and a '63 Healey BJ7. Both mostly original, both driveable, and neither about to be restored.

The Healey had a brake failure (fortunately gradual, not catastrophic). You can see in the photo what caused the failure. At some point in the dim past somebody patched the rear brake line with an ordinary compression union. The photo shows the three way fitting coming from the front of the car and the top of the pic is the compression fitting going to the line that goes over to the left rear wheel.

Although it would be quick and easy just to make a new patch with a new compression union, I guess my only real choice is the buy the entire brake line set from Moss Motors for $116 and replace the read pipe, including all of the wonderful bends going over the differential and then down to the wheel.

Any other thoughts? Just buy a few feet of tubing and make the replacement line?

Thanks,
George

PS - searching for pictures of the cars, hidden in secret places by Microsoft.

Attachments

• IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 41

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello George

Welcome to the forum.

Interesting photo. I hope the break line just goes behind the rubber hose and is not stabbed into it.

The break line kit is probable the best approach as it will come with the correct flares on the pipes. Some old British cars hade a different flare than is used now. Also the nuts would be the correct thread.
I am sure you will get a more complete answer to your question if you post it in the Austin Healey section.

David

OP
G

georgewcole

Freshman Member
Thanks for the quick reply. When I looked more closely at the system and at the possibly differing types of flares I decided to just go ahead and buy the Moss Motors kit.

George

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Thanks for the quick reply. When I looked more closely at the system and at the possibly differing types of flares I decided to just go ahead and buy the Moss Motors kit.

George

Probably a good choice in the long run.