• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A front body mounts

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I had posted about the front body mounts before and had put it aside for awhile. I went back thru the comments from that post and went back and tried to pull the driver side mounting holes into position along with fudging the passenger side holes to try and find a happy medium. All I was able to do was move the problem to somewhere else. If I got the holes to work it threw the inner sills off along with the floor pans and the transmission cover.The driver side mount seemed to be twisted but there is no sign of the sheetmetal reinforcements having any damage. Pulling the driver side seemed to put some stress on the firewall. How ever much I moved the mounting flange is how much the firewall bowed. I decided to line up as much as possible without the driver side mounting bolts. The passenger side mounted up 100 % floor pan, inner sill, transmission cover, and front body mounts. The driver side is almost that good, There are a couple of holes in the floor pan that will need to be stretched. The stamping of the driver side is not as good as the passenger side. Inner sills line up, transmission cover is ok but the body mounts are what is off.
IMG_1458.jpg Passenger side body panels
IMG_1459.jpg Driver side body panels
IMG_1460.jpg Front bonnet , apron alignment
IMG_1461.jpg Rear bonnet , scuttle alignment
The wings and apron have only a few bolts , the bonnet is just sitting in place. All of the body panels will need repairs and adjustments.
driver side body mounting hole misalignment.jpgThis is the mis alignment
driver side body mount repair template.jpg This is the template for the repair
driver side body mount flange removed.jpg Body mount flange removed
driver side body mount repair flange.jpg Body mount repair flange.
driver side body mount repair flange tacked in place.jpg Body mount flange tacked in place.
driver side body mount flange repair welded and trimed.jpg Body mount welded and trimmed.
driver side body mount repair complete.jpg Body mount finished with mounting pads as per the service manual.
I don't know if this was a good decision but this way I only had one battle to fight. If down the road it is a problem I can easily cut off what I added and move the holes back to where they were. Frank

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Looking great Frank yes all those panels look great. I went through that problem and did not try your method of re-holing it. I wish I would have. Heck I had sleever bars pulling and pushing and rotor files taking off metal what pain. Well the good news your trans tunnel looks nice in the picture. Maybe you will not need to remake that

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Steve, I trust yours and John’s comments to my original post and that made my decision that much harder. Sometimes you have to get off the pot and make a decision. I have analyzed this repair to death. I remembered John saying the body panels are what matter and that led me to put the body panels on to get an idea where I was. I hope it works out. The transmission tunnel was probably the best part on the car. Only minor repairs to the bottom flange. Frank

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
That's what I like about your work Frank...top notch. When I got to that point I likely would have just opened up the original hole. Your way is much more professional, though. Keep up the good work!

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thank you John, this sure does put my mind at ease. I wasn’t to keen going against your advice but wasn’t having any luck trying to flex things in place. It will take someone pretty sharp to notice that the driver flange is a little wider than the other flange. Still looking forward to working on the body panels, but that is still a ways off. Frank

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The way I did things is not the only, or even the "best" way. The goal is to accumulate enough techniques that you can work through to the end. Your techniques tool box is pretty decked out at this point! Don't worry about anyone noticing that mount, as the carbs totally hide the passenger side. The driver side isn't much better once the steering column is in place.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The gaps all look great.

What I did not do that was probable a mistake was at your stage I did not get it all bolted up like it should have been. I just put in a few bolts then later when I bolted the inner wings down at the front and the inner wings to the apron I had a fight to get it all aligned.
At that point It was painted so I was kind of stuck pushing and shoving to get it all aligned. It looks OK but it was a struggle.

David