• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fantastic Flight

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
One of the best (HD) videos I've ever seen if a difficult landing... with lots of great camera angles. Great detail of this guy's flying. Looks best in full-screen mode (particularly for a non-pilot). It's in Papua, New Guinea.
Fascinating.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Rookie pilot

Curious as to why... short of being young (or relegated to the South Pacific). I just figured he was documenting for the video.

I remember being in that part of the world where most pilots were Kiwis. I think the seasoned veterans flew the big crafts.
There used to be an airline down there: "South Pacific Island Airways" (SPIA for short - long gone I think), and the joke was "fly spee-ah with fee-ah" (fear). Crashes weren't widely publicized back then. They were one of the few small companies operating in the south Pacific islands.
On one memorable flight I took (south island group of Tonga to the northern island group), the New Zealander that drove a shuttle van to the coral runway airport turned out to be the pilot of the plane (which we didn't know until the flight itself)!!! We sat on the runway awaiting clearance... I was sitting directly behind the pilot in a 17 passenger plane... and I heard him asked the co-pilot "did he say we could go?" Answer "not sure." Reply "let's go." Zooooom... off we went.

One amusing comment below the video: this guy is either a pilot or a stripper! LOL

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Just now we've got some poor guy tryin' to stay airborne while dragging an advertising banner around the State Fairgrounds. Keeps balancing throttle to airspeed. Down wind crank it up, headwind fluff it. No envy and hope his cockpit heater's workin'!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I was totally kidding. Watched the video twice through.

Yup, no doubt he'd "been there, done that" more than once. :wink:

I caught myself leaning out and looking far left to try and see that grass strip just as he turned on final.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yup, no doubt he'd "been there, done that" more than once. :wink:

I caught myself leaning out and looking far left to try and see that grass strip just as he turned on final.
When he turned final I kept looking out the cockpit and didn't see it until he was right on it.
Wonder why he wasn't advised of the muddy runway :nightmare:

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
When he turned final I kept looking out the cockpit and didn't see it until he was right on it.
Wonder why he wasn't advised of the muddy runway :nightmare:

Seemed like he didn't know how much water would be there until the end of the trip.
Yes, that runway was difficult to see until you really looked for it.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Seemed like he didn't know how much water would be there until the end of the trip.
Yes, that runway was difficult to see until you really looked for it.
Sure, I understand he may not have known the runway conditions but what I saying is why wasn't he advised of the conditions when he called in for landing instructions.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Oh, right. Seemed like there was one weak spot on the runway... perhaps routine for them.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I hope I don't read about this guy some day. Why the %$#$ was he going there anyway?

???
I had the impression he worked in this area... that maybe this was also a demonstration/educational flight and probably a cargo run.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Interesting terrain to be flying over.

Must be a good reason why he had to do a down hill with a tailwind landing.

David