• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Old Car Guy

NickK

Freshman Member
Country flag
I have been in and out of performance cars all my life. At one point or another, I have had a '57 Dodge (325 cu in HEMI), 1964 Olds 442, 1965/1966/1969/1991 Mustangs, Nissan 350Z and I currently have a 2014 Corvette Z51 but through all of these runs the thread of a greater passion; English roadsters.

In high school I had a 1958 Triumph TR3. In college I had a 1962 TR4 that my room mate totaled. I replaced it with a 1964 TR4 that I drove until I was drafted into the Army. After a tour in Viet Nam I came back to a 1971 Triumph TR6 (loaded: AM/FM radio, overdrive, factory hard top). I drove it until 1975 when I went to my local Lotus dealer to see when deliveries of the new Esprit were expected. The Lotus dealer was also a TVR dealer and there on the floor was a new unsold 1974 2500M. And the rest, as they say is history. I bought it and drove it on week-ends and in auto crosses/gymkhanas until 1989 when I put it storage.

I began a full "frame-off" restoration of it in 2017, after I retired, and completed it 3 years to day later. I was planning and active schedule of east coast shows in 2020 but COVID shut that down. Hoping for a better 2012 and a chance to get out and around.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 9.jpeg
    9.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 69

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
welcome! great car and great history and amazing that you are the original owner

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello NickK

Welcome to the forum.

That is a great looking TVR. You did a great job with your restoration.
What motor did they use in the TRV 2500M?

Wanted a TVR when I was in the UK but they were always out of my price range.

David

OP
N

NickK

Freshman Member
Country flag
David - thank you. It was a labor of love. I enjoyed every minute.

The drive train is TR6 (engine, transmission and diff) and was always the weak part of the car thanks to emissions requirements. I decided to fix that while trying to keep it looking period correct. I think I pulled out almost all the stops;10:1 compression, ported/increased valve size, tube header, Good Parts GP2 cam, lightened and balanced, Carillo rods, Good Parts harmonic damper, triple SU HS6 carbs (it is an English car after all). While I was at it I swapped out for an overdrive transmission.

Back in the day, it did 0 - 60 in the 9+ second range. Now I am in the mid 6 second range.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Nick

Most restorations are a labor of love.

The 2019 British Car Fayre had 1 TVR in attendance. Hopefully it will be held this year.

David

TVR.jpg

Chester Atkinson

Freshman Member
Country flag
I like what you have done and looks to be in spectacular condition. I also had a green 1974 TVR back in the mid 70’s. Wish I still had it today. Have fun driving around and hopefully going to shows.

OP
N

NickK

Freshman Member
Country flag
Chester-
Thanks. It was a long time coming. I have owned it since 1975 and had it in storage from 1989 until I started the restoration in 2017.
My son lives in Lafayette Place (Detroit). I was thinking of trailering the TVR up for the Dream Cruise (if it is held this year). TVRCCNA is very active in the Detroit area.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The first TVR I ever saw I said what did they do to my TR 6 since then what a nice car you have and keeping the TR 6 running gear a plus in my book. Madflyer

Chester Atkinson

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hope that the car show will be held. I have a son that lives on Grosse Ile island in the Detroit River and would be a good visit to do while seeing the car show. Hope it all works for you. Definitely enjoy that TVR !!