• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What goes up must come down.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
About two weeks ago my wife and I left our house in her car. We got about two miles away from home and I checked the status of the garage door only to find that it was 'up". We turned around and drove home to close it.
Since I already have a z-wave controller to automatically turn the water off in case of a leak I decided to build a 'door closer".
I bought a
PNP proximity switch, a relay and a z-wave controlled outlet. I installed it today and it is working. Now I can close the door remotely from anywhere and I've got it programed to automatically close the door if there's no-one home and we leave without closing it. Also, I have it set to check the status of the door at 11:30pm and if it's open it will automatically close it and send me a text message alerting me that it 'closed the door'.
I could have bought a device to perform the task but it feels good building it myself.
Below is the box with the proximity switch; I mounted the relay to the box after I took the pic.

IMG_4921.jpg

Components used:
B3B81BED-2BB2-4166-B953-E86432E14900.jpegC09485E3-9D5E-44AE-A106-89674D83681A.jpeg0F94CFEB-E762-4423-B3B4-5CFEBEB120CD.jpeg

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You either have a very small house or your wife has a very big car. :ba-dump:

But seriously - that's pretty ingenious bit of DIY work!
Thanks! And we had a heck of a time getting the house out :encouragement:

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Here's the install photo....

IMG_4926.jpg

Country flag
For this subject line, all you need now is a painted ponyto ride, particularly while the car’s wheels are spinning…. (For those saying β€œwhat the h@ll”, lookit up. The old guys will find it in the back oftheir brains somewhere)

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
For this subject line, all you need now is a painted ponyto ride, particularly while the car’s wheels are spinning…. (For those saying β€œwhat the h@ll”, lookit up. The old guys will find it in the back oftheir brains somewhere)
I was at a concert of BS&T in 1972.... good times!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Wasn't that far back inna gray room here, either. Now the problem is gettin' it outta th' lobby... :wink:

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
So, don't be working under the door at 11:30 PM.

Clever.
Good advice! I’ve decided to change it.... Going to close the door earlier (9-10 o’clock) but as a backup it will check the status of the door before before going into β€œnight mode” later in the evening.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I use one of these generic units (see link) that works well with my phone. I can see if the door is open/closed or open/close it (from anywhere).

WiFi Smart Garage Door Controller Wireless Garage Door Opener WiFi APP Switch Remote Control Compatible with Alexa Google Home - - Amazon.com

There are a few variants of this IFTTT technology, but it's all simple stuff. They range from $25-$40. Some unique doors may result in a need for a minor tweak to mounting the trip sensor (but easy to do).

Funny thing is that I can be away from home, and I can tell if my wife opens/closes the door because I get a vibration in my pants. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I use one of these generic units that works well with my phone. I can see if the door is open/closed or open/close it (from anywhere).

WiFi Smart Garage Door Controller Wireless Garage Door Opener WiFi APP Switch Remote Control Compatible with Alexa Google Home - - Amazon.com

There are a few variants of this ITTT technology, but it's all simple stuff. They range from $25-$40. Some doors may results in a minor tweak the the strip sensor (but easy).
I looked at similar devices but decided I wanted it to do more than just remotely operate the door. As an example, I set up a geofence approximately 1,000 feet around my house; when the last person leaves the house and forgets to close the door, it will close automatically when leaving the geofence. Since I already had the z-wave controller, it integrates with the other devices.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
My son uses the If this then that app - ITTT - when he walks into his apartment the lights turn on as soon as his phone connects to wifi.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I looked at similar devices but decided I wanted it to do more than just remotely operate the door. As an example, I set up a geofence approximately 1,000 feet around my house; when the last person leaves the house and forgets to close the door, it will close automatically when leaving the geofence. Since I already had the z-wave controller, it integrates with the other devices.

Very cool... and, of course, great to do it all yourself. :smile:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
My son uses the If this then that app - ITTT - when he walks into his apartment the lights turn on as soon as his phone connects to wifi.

Ooooh... hadn't thought of that!

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hadn't heard of that, but will check it out. I'm sure there are lots of ways to accomplish the tasks with the technology of today.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I use one of these generic units (see link) that works well with my phone. I can see if the door is open/closed or open/close it (from anywhere).

Both my new Kia Telluride and my previous 2007 Santa Fe has/had a "Home Link" mirror - I have one of the button programed to open/close the garage door. Very convenient to have a garage door opener built in to the rear view mirror.

Last edited:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I use a Homelink button in my Audi Q5 and love it as well... but with the IFTTT thing I can check for open/close from anywhere on the planet (or close it too).

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
After 39 years of struggling to lift the cellar garage door, I installed an electric eye opener. Cost $395.00. Should have done it years ago. Our regular 2-car garage has had a metal door for years. Originally wood, until wife backed her Infiniti G20 into the wood door.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
And when I hear that phrase I think: