• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ7 Hood frame mounting plate

• Thread starter Deleted member 26968
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 26968

Hi.

Need some advice.

Does anyone have a photo showing the configuration of the hood frame mounting plate on the B post. I am trying to get the hood alignment against the window correct and looking at the mounting plate I have a spring over a bolt on one side of the car and none on the other side. Which is correct and if I need another spring or spacers, who sells them?

I have also just learned there is a huge spring fitted from this hood mounting plate to the floor. Neither of my cars had any sign of floor attachments for this so I
wondered if it is really necessary. There is such a short lever arm I really can't see a spring having any real affect given the weight of a fully loaded hood. None of the Triumphs have sprung loaded hoods.

Also for the hood drain channel pipes, none of the suppliers show whether to over-drill the hole size and fit a rubber grommet. Can you advise what the original procedure was and if all five holes are really required. One of them is right over the driveshaft. Fact is, I hate the idea of drilling all those holes in my brand new paintwork as I hadn't planned to drive the car during a tsunami!

Cheers

Barry

Attachments

• 20210110_134127.jpg
    20210110_134127.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 219
  • 20210110_134158.jpg
    20210110_134158.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 226

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Just behind the door openings on the sill portion should be a triangular plate with a hole in for one end of the spring, they will be hidden by the rear trim panels . The other end of the spring goes into that tab of the twisted bar next to the tonneau rod support shown on your pics . The springs are covered with a sleeve of armacord .
For the drain holes . The ones going through the wheel arch don’t have grommets you can just caulk seal them if you like . The ones going through the rear seat deck have grommets .

OP
D

Deleted member 26968

Just behind the door openings on the sill portion should be a triangular plate with a hole in for one end of the spring, they will be hidden by the rear trim panels . The other end of the spring goes into that tab of the twisted bar next to the tonneau rod support shown on your pics . The springs are covered with a sleeve of armacord .
For the drain holes . The ones going through the wheel arch don’t have grommets you can just caulk seal them if you like . The ones going through the rear seat deck have grommets .
No I don't have any such plate and looking on Kilmartin's website I couldn't find one there. I could always screw a plate to the sill but until I get the springs I won't know the dimensions.

I have drilled and fitted the centre drain pipe with a grommet. I am hoping that I can get away with only three drain holes. But when I look at that channel and consider the risk of it overflowing in a storm I can see why there are so many.

Do you know of any other cars with a rain gutter on the inside?

Cheers

Barry

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I cant find any pics of the plate but it’s not complicated . Maybe 3” wide at the base triangulated to 1 1/2” tall with a small hole for the spring hook but they were welded to the inner sill in that small space where the dogleg of the trim panel comes down to the floor .
The springs assist with lifting of the top frame so as you lift on one side of the car the frame doesn’t twist . It’s not that it’s heavy .
If you always lifted the top with two people one each side there would be no need for them .
if your car is already painted then you will probably have to just bolt/sheet metal screw them to the inner sill .

grimes6

Country flag
The plate is AH422 on Kilmartins site. If you click on the image it will show you the wrong photo but it is listed as "Softop spring anchorage bracket - to inner sill assembly"
Regards,
Greg

OP
D

Deleted member 26968

I cant find any pics of the plate but it’s not complicated . Maybe 3” wide at the base triangulated to 1 1/2” tall with a small hole for the spring hook but they were welded to the inner sill in that small space where the dogleg of the trim panel comes down to the floor .
The springs assist with lifting of the top frame so as you lift on one side of the car the frame doesn’t twist . It’s not that it’s heavy .
If you always lifted the top with two people one each side there would be no need for them .
if your car is already painted then you will probably have to just bolt/sheet metal screw them to the inner sill .
Exzcellent.

Many thanks for the plate details. The hood springs make sense now.

Barry

Riquet1963

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi.

Need some advice.

Does anyone have a photo showing the configuration of the hood frame mounting plate on the B post. I am trying to get the hood alignment against the window correct and looking at the mounting plate I have a spring over a bolt on one side of the car and none on the other side. Which is correct and if I need another spring or spacers, who sells them?

I have also just learned there is a huge spring fitted from this hood mounting plate to the floor. Neither of my cars had any sign of floor attachments for this so I
wondered if it is really necessary. There is such a short lever arm I really can't see a spring having any real affect given the weight of a fully loaded hood. None of the Triumphs have sprung loaded hoods.

Also for the hood drain channel pipes, none of the suppliers show whether to over-drill the hole size and fit a rubber grommet. Can you advise what the original procedure was and if all five holes are really required. One of them is right over the driveshaft. Fact is, I hate the idea of drilling all those holes in my brand new paintwork as I hadn't planned to drive the car during a tsunami!

Cheers

Barry
Hello Barry or others

Actually I am renovating my frame and need to rebuild it with an original shape..

Have you more precise pictures of this zone?

1671705736261.png

Many Thanks in advance and merry Christmas

BR

Eric G

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Aluminum shims stacked underneath the two frame anchor points help with hood/frame adjustments. The sims are about 1/16in. thick each and on my car (BJ7) one is installed on the driver's side, while two are stacked in the passenger's side.