• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Replacement starter

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The ring gear in our '64 had been giving me fits, starter engagement due to wear on the ring gear became a game of "Starter Roulette". On a day late in November the engine failed to start on first partial spin, subsequent efforts unsuccessful, until the Bendix JAMMED in the gear. The last straw. Ordered a torque-reduction starter, engagement from the front side of the ring gear. Took a bit of fettling, on my back on the concrete driveway where the car had been parked last. Did most of the task from the top side, dizzy, oil cooler lines and dipstick removed, then removing the original Bendix starter and lowering it out the bottom. New one placed from the top, upper bolt went in with no issue. Had to use the "Braille" method of fiddling the bottom bolt into the replacement starter and getting the nut to start. Then it became a contest of patience; only tool to fit the space where the nut could be tightened wouldn't allow anything but an open-end wrench and that only an eighth of a turn before flipping the tool 180° and reacquiring the nut by feel to advance another eighth of a turn... BORING!!

After all was in place and battery reconnected, the thing spun up sounding like an APU for an F-4! But the engine didn't start. Sat too long outdoors, no spark. Dizzy out, points cleaned with file, rotor contact brass cleaned with #600 wet-or-dry, Dizzy reinstalled. Engine turned by hand to set timing mark, static timed the dizzy, hit the starter and VROOM!!!!

If any decide to make this starter change (and I will highly recommend it), do it on a lift or where you can access the underside of the vehicle easily.

When the clutch needs replacement a new ring-gear will be fitted.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Good to hear you started 2021 with a challenge.

:jester:

Say, any idea why the engine wouldn't start at first? Seems two months wouldn't bring the need to do all that ignition "freshening".

Tom M.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
About 2-3 years ago I had a similar starting problem on my 6. As it turned out, it was the ring gear. A $30 replacement part but as you know, I had to pull the transmission out to install it :censored:.
Prior to learning it was the ring gear, I bought a gear reduction starter. After replacing the ring gear I decided to install the gear reduction starter (though it wasn't needed). I am so glad I did; it's half the weight, and it spins the engine with vigor.
A PITA job indeed doc but now it's done!

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Elliot said:
About 2-3 years ago I had a similar starting problem on my 6. As it turned out, it was the ring gear. A $30 replacement part but as you know, I had to pull the transmission out to install it :censored:.
Prior to learning it was the ring gear, I bought a gear reduction starter. After replacing the ring gear I decided to install the gear reduction starter (though it wasn't needed). I am so glad I did; it's half the weight, and it spins the engine with vigor.
A PITA job indeed doc but now it's done!

Done a number of TR-6 transectomys, no fun but not as much work as with an MGB. You had to remove seat, carpet and tunnel, an MGB needs the engine and trans pulled out of the car as a unit. I'd rather do three Triumph clutch R&R's than one MGB. :wink:

Good to hear you started 2021 with a challenge.

:jester:

Say, any idea why the engine wouldn't start at first? Seems two months wouldn't bring the need to do all that ignition "freshening".

Tom M.

I'm sure it was the "fuzzy" points, from sitting outside for a couple months without being started. Ordinarily a couple half-down applications of the accelerator pedal ( it has a DCOE 40mm Weber) and it would light off with half a rev with the starter. When the Bendix of the original starter cramminated, it was the end of my patience. On close inspection of the old starter after the replacement, found the bushings of the starter worn as well.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just found this pic I took showing the size (and weight) difference between the OEM starter and the modern gear reduction starter.

CBAF3D10-C39C-4C3D-809D-C0FE4CE45F97.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The weight difference was what impressed me.

The battery terminal on the new one is in a bit of a dangerous spot in an MGB, in that the lower clip securing the dizzy cap could drop down and make contact with it. I made up a new cable to run from the remote mounted solenoid to starter and used the rubber boot furnished with the new unit to hopefully preclude any such problem.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hi mate, i hope you are fine.
take a look to this video it may help you.

Had you actually read the original post and subsequent ones in the thread, you would notice the job was DONE already. No "help" necessary.

This video addresses issues with "modern" vehicles, it is certainly not specific to MG's.