• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I had to laugh lest I cry

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
So this weekend past I spent several quality hours with my nearly 20-year-old Kenmore front loader washing machine. I got the thing disassembled, drum out and pulled apart and successfully replace the inner and outer rear drum bearings! I was so proud of myself! Then, just as I had everything nearly buttoned up, I noticed that the pump assembly under the front end of the drum was not properly secured to the bracket it was supposed to be screwed on to. So, I decided to set it back in place and screw the pump assembly to the proper spot. (You know where this is going)

As I was trying to push a rubber bushing onto the pump assembly's mounting point, the plastic pump housing cracked - badly. I had so wanted to test out the new bearings but now have to wait for a replacement pump to be delivered. There were no new pump assemblies for my washer model to be had anywhere, but I found a used (but reportedly working) pump assembly on EBay and ordered it. Tracking number says it will be here this coming Thursday (3 days).

I wanted to scream, but I decided to laugh instead...but it was the kind of laugh Jack Nicholson had in The Shinning :livid:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Understandably frustrating.

Many years ago the old Kenmore washer we had began to leak onto the garage floor. Pump housing cracked. At the time, I found the cost of a pump replacement was about what we'd paid for the machine, used. I used fiberglass to cover the pump body and that washer lasted another five years. Finally the smoke leaked out of the motor and we replaced the whole machine.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Appliances are like house plants. They all have the right to die at some time.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

Excellent!

(Imagine how rich we'd be if we were paid for all the hours we spend "fixing" things.)

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Bayless said:

Entropy wins.

Tom said:
Excellent!
Tom said:
(Imagine how rich we'd be if we were paid for all the hours we spend "fixing" things.)

My Old Fella determined to raise his kids to be self-sufficient. Think instead of all the money we'd have to spend, having to hire someone to do the work instead of "fixing" things ourselves.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

Entropy wins.

My Old Fella determined to raise his kids to be self-sufficient. Think instead of all the money we'd have to spend, having to hire someone to do the work instead of "fixing" things ourselves.

as the river said, 'my sediments exactly.' OTOH boss, I feel your pain. This especially when you have a product where the the repair either spirals (as happened here) or where the cost is close to not making sense. Elsewhere on the forum is the chronicles of our stove earlier in the year - a repair that we did have to call someone for - at the end of the day a $500 repair for a 'maybe' on a 15 year old stove just didn't make sense.

Good luck!

basil 2.jpg

Country flag
I make a habit of watching when the installers / repairers come to do something. I can't begin to guess at the time/$$ saved when something needed to be fixed or replaced and I was able to do it myself because I watched/payed attention. That and YouTube videos. :smile:

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I feel your pain. While your broken part does not seem to be a result of user-error, I can't describe how many times a bonehead move on my part resulted in a much bigger repair.

A few months ago, I replaced rotors and pads on my BMW - and ended up with new wheel bearings. The rotor bolt was rusted to the bearing housing. Gingerly I drilled out the bolt... and boogered up the bearing housing. (Each time I replace the four corners, one or two bolts give me a hard time, despite an overnight soak in PB and a few good whacks with a hammer. This was the first time I damaged the backing bits.) I had to buy new bearings at the tune of $400 - and while conceptually easy to install (four bolts hold a pre-assembled bearing assembly), Loctite red and no room to swing a wrench makes for fun. I was running the impact on a pancake compressor; as I have not yet found the time to connect the proper 5 HP IR compressor since moving.

But I still maintain there is benefit in fixing things myself. Even if it kills me!

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
But I still maintain there is benefit in fixing things myself. Even if it kills me!

It is theraputic for me (well, most of the time) and I get a sense of satisfaction when I successfully repair some appliance or bit of hardware. As Silverghost mentioned - YouTube videos! In this case, there was a really thorough video on replacing the bearings on my exact model of washer. I watched it a few times and determined that I could do this! The hardest part was getting the drum back into place and lifted high enough to attach the 4 springs at the top of the drum. The Drum isn't that heavey, but it does had concrete weights on it and it is bulky and awkward to maneuver. As long as I'm replacing the Pump, I speand another $50 and decided to order the four drum shocks also. The originals are nearly 20 years old so I figured I might as well replace them as long as I'm in there.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss

Entropy wins.

When all is said and done, I will have spent $181.55 plus my time for this repair. (It's cheap therapy). If I get another 3 or 4 years out of this washer I'll be quite happy. We know that at some point a new Washer/Dryer is in the cards - just trying to put that off a little longer.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Sometimes the challenge is finding a You Tube video by someone who knows what they are doing. It usually takes 30 seconds to decide if it is useful or not. I do not need to see your new sneakers or know know what you had for lunch.

David

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I also find great satisfaction when doing household repairs. I have repaired (or attempted) just about everything. I sometimes find it difficult to say to myself " junk it and buy a new one" But every once in a while, That is the best answer. I am often asked, "how do you know how to fix all of this stuff" My set answer is that I have hade ALOT of broken "stuff" in my life. YouTube is wonderful, It almost feels like cheating. George

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I also find great satisfaction when doing household repairs. I have repaired (or attempted) just about everything. I sometimes find it difficult to say to myself " junk it and buy a new one" But every once in a while, That is the best answer. I am often asked, "how do you know how to fix all of this stuff" My set answer is that I have hade ALOT of broken "stuff" in my life. YouTube is wonderful, It almost feels like cheating. George

I probably could have done it without the YoTube video, but it would have taken a lot longer. The video made it 1...2...3...done.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
When all is said and done, I will have spent $181.55 plus my time for this repair. (It's cheap therapy). If I get another 3 or 4 years out of this washer I'll be quite happy. We know that at some point a new Washer/Dryer is in the cards - just trying to put that off a little longer.

I replaced similar bearings on my Bosch front loader a few years back. Distant relatives who own an appliance parts business highly recommended since the slightly older machines were much better built. Seems that slightly after mine was built they changed to smaller bearings and welded the plastic tub together making it extremely difficult to repair.

All was well for a few years until the power went off exactly at the beginning of the spin cycle. When the power came back on the the wet heavy load of laundry went straight to full speed spin... with everything on one side of the tub. Apparently the sound effects were quite spectacular! The machine had been jumping so violently it smashed holes into the tile floor, bent the frame and case of the machine so badly I needed a crowbar to pry open the door.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I replaced similar bearings on my Bosch front loader a few years back. Distant relatives who own an appliance parts business highly recommended since the slightly older machines were much better built. Seems that slightly after mine was built they changed to smaller bearings and welded the plastic tub together making it extremely difficult to repair.

All was well for a few years until the power went off exactly at the beginning of the spin cycle. When the power came back on the the wet heavy load of laundry went straight to full speed spin... with everything on one side of the tub. Apparently the sound effects were quite spectacular! The machine had been jumping so violently it smashed holes into the tile floor, bent the frame and case of the machine so badly I needed a crowbar to pry open the door.

wow! that is astonishing. (I think you win - though a dubious victory) :cheers:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
wow! that is astonishing. (I think you win - though a dubious victory) :cheers:

A remarkable example of M x V, when held in a confined space! :eeek:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not a major appliance but required repair nevertheless. We got this Mixmaster 48 years ago. SWMBO was unhappy when it started making a racket a couple of days ago. Took it apart and found the gearbox dry. Re-greased it, cleaned up the commutator, oiled the bearings and Bobโ€™s your uncle.
It required service after 48 years... donโ€™t makeโ€™em like they use to :jester:

77207626-9F1D-47E9-A4D2-9B2B5F2033B2.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Nicely done, Elliot! "Keep 'em flying!" :wink: