• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

RIP Oscar Koveleski

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I just received word that Oscar Koveleski has passed away. He will not make major news on his passing, but those of us who raced slot cars in the 1960's and beyond remember his AutoWorld Catalog. I ordered from his place many times, and even drove there in the early 1970's to get a roll bar for our 240Z. He, Brad Niemcek, and Tony Adamowicz founded the Polish Racing Drivers of America. I proudly had my PRDA patch sewn on the shoulder of my winter coat during college as I was a class 4 member (Non-Polish, Non Racing Driver). Oscar drove his McLaren in many Can Am events over the years. He was known to have the artwork showing slot cars racing on his car, and for a period sprouted a wing atop his helmet for downforce. I have a number of photos I have taken of him, some at Lime Rock, and more from Pocono including his presenting the "Pole" position trophy at the Schaefer 500. I proudly have an autographed poster of Oscar and his McLaren in my slot car room.

I will miss knowing that he may appear at an event. He made many things much more fun.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Sad news, Dave. The photo of him with his balaclava up over his eyes as he put on his racing gloves is etched into my brain. PRDA Founding Father.

When I recently repainted a toolbox, I didn't have the heart to scrape off an AutoWorld sticker, so masked it off. A much better preserved one is on the inside lid of my big toolbox:

AutoWorld.jpg

AutoWorld2.JPG

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I ordered many model kits from AW,& spent countless hours
thumbing thru the annual catalogs.
In 1979,we made a trip to the East Coast,& stopped by Auto Word
& bought a driving light relay (still have it,& still haven't used it).While
there,I met Oscar just as he was leaving for lunch.He said (to his employee)
"Take car of my friend from California".
I have a couple of interviews bookmarked on my computer.For some
reason I can't bear to delete them.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Watched Oscar in his "Super Cooper" absolutely dominate the Pennsylvnia Hillclimb Series in the 60's....always getting FTD, he drove the wheels off that 327ci Chevrolet powered Group 7 race car. What a guy.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Here's Oscar in his "Super Cooper" at the Hershey Hillclimb (2:25)...yeah, it's a grainy and obviously non-professional video...but cool none the less.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Here's Oscar in his "Super Cooper" at the Hershey Hillclimb (2:25)...yeah, it's a grainy and obviously non-professional video...but cool none the less.

These Hershey Hill Climb videos are great (you can see more of them once you click on this one). Love to see Cobras, Vettes, Healeys and E-Types being driven hard Some of the early films show Falcons, Ramblers, Saabs, Volvos and even a Gullwing on the hill. I think the word is "evocative".

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I remember Autoworld and Roger, though I hadn't heard the name in a long time, makes me remember my the old days of slot car racing and watching CanAm in its heyday.