• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Even the Enterprise...

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
2020-12-20 18.10.05.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Not wanting to jinx anything but I have seen so many jokes about this recently and yet this phone call theme literally doesn't exist north of the border, many others duct cleaning etc etc but not car warranty. weird.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
If I don't recognize the name or the number, I don't pick up. Ever. If its important, they'll leave a message. Only problem - our bedroom phone is a land line with no ID. I just let it ring or race into the office to see who it is.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
If I don't recognize the name or the number, I don't pick up. Ever. If its important, they'll leave a message. Only problem - our bedroom phone is a land line with no ID. I just let it ring or race into the office to see who it is.

Us either - mostly - our land line has caller ID on only 2 of 4 phones - and even some cell phone calls we get have no name. OTOH usually there is silence when we pick up the phone - enough time to hang up.

We generally get two kinds of calls.

1. Phishing - your credit card/ bank account/ taxes/ etc has been compromised/ added to / removed from etc.

or

2. Cold calls - duct cleaning. :rolleyes:

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I answered, and when I said 1978 MGB they hung up.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Interesting, we don't get duct cleaning calls here.

Even if I'm standing next to the land line, I won't pick it up. All calls are for my wife and they are either business calls for her, her friends or family, or "We need to speak to you about ...." She has Caller ID and an answering machine that picks up after 2 rings. "Have your machine speak to my machine."

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
For our land-line we use "NoMoRoBo" which is a free-service. Any computer dialed call is intercepted; we get just one ring and then it is re-routed to a database that tags the number of a marketer. The only trouble with the service (which is otherwise fantastic) is that it will block a call-back where you're only hold and they say they'll call you back.
The service costs for cell phones, but I otherwise recommend it.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Living in Georgia our phone has not stopped ringing lately.

1) political calls.
2) Marketing calls for extended warranty calls.
3) Your credit card, SS number etc has been used in ........state.
and
4) is my fault. I advertised canning jars in the market bulletin last week and the phone has not stopped ringing. The first caller took all the jars I had.

The answering machine fields them all unless I recognize the number or someone I want to talk to starts a message. I did get a call last week and I recognized the number. It was our number calling us. They spoof the numbers now. Have had 10 calls from the same name with 10 different numbers.

David

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Can't fathom how Georgie residents are dealing with the onslaught (related to your upcoming election). Here is Oregon we go very few TV ads during the presidential campaign (as we aren't a swing State).
Kinda sad that screening/ignoring calls has become a way of life.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
while reading these Threads My power Company call telling me my power will be shut of in 30 min unless I contact them push #1 so I did and told them I was off the GRID click As for you all in Georgia best of luck with what every way you choose. You will be compared to Florida for years after this. Madflyer And asking for PHONE SEX works also

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I'd be happy to assist... though I'd require a credit card to do so (only for reference). :highly_amused:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If I answer & hear a pause,I hang up.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Our landline phone announces caller ID by name and phone over the speaker. We like to giggle at the pronunciations until...wait that's my mother!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
There are usually ten or more calls 'blinking' unanswered on our land-line answering machine, I go thru 'em about once a week, deleting most. Likely deleted some of import, inadvertently, as well. :eeek:

"Our records show that your business is not listed... blah blah blah... Press one to list your..."

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
In the mail on Saturday we had 9 political flyers. Not sure who they were for as I just trash them all.
Better than bills I suppose.

David

Can't fathom how Georgie residents are dealing with the onslaught (related to your upcoming election). Here is Oregon we go very few TV ads during the presidential campaign (as we aren't a swing State).
Kinda sad that screening/ignoring calls has become a way of life.