• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

2013 Nissan Frontier front end mystery

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
I've had the above car since new. For a while, it has made a growling tire road noise. Alignment does not seem to help. I figured it was a bad front tire. I now have 40 miles on new front tires and the problem persists. Whe driving straight there is a distinct growl. The slightest left pressure on the steering wheel sharply increases it. The slightest right pressure on the steering wheel about makes it go away. The clue I noticed on the way back from the tire shop today is, if you turn hard left to increase the sound and step moderately on the brake, the noise goes away. A year ago, I had an alignment and the shop put two eccentric bolts in the left lower control arm. This did not seem to affect it (but it might have; memory 71 yrs old).

Any opinions?

Bob

OP
B

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
By the way, the front wheel bearings were checked by a reliable shop (I don't usually work on my daily drivers) in October with the calipers off. No noise was found and no looseness was found. (I am inclined toward the wheel bearings, BTW)
Bob

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I know you said the bearings were checked, but I would still be thinking the hubs/ bearings. If the noise in coming from one side, you might try swapping the hubs and see if the noise moves. Just a thought.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We have not been able to discern which side is involved. I will probably just replace both sides.

Thanks,
Bob

That makes most sense. Once disassembled, renewing bearings and any seals is "half the work" of swapping the hub's sides, scratchin' your head and replacing the bearings anyway.

TobyCorn

Freshman Member
Country flag
"We have not been able to discern which side is involved. I will probably just replace both sides."

That seems like a good solution. You may want to check out 4WheelOnline as well for spares. They're selling them off at a very affordable price.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Just a thought - could the noise be a loose brake pad/caliper? or corrosion on the disk contacting or rubbing the stationary part of the suspension? A loose caliper caused the "growling" sound on my 2010 Nissan Altima.
Tom M.

OP
B

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
I went ahead and had another shop check. It was clearly a wheel bearing. It was replaced. I don't know why the other shop didn't find it
Bob