• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Roof vent position on BN7 hardtop.

Bundyrum

Freshman Member
Country flag
I am trying to find the dimension of the cutout for the roof vent on my BN7 Hardtop. I just need to know how far the cutout is from the upper trim piece for the window. I bought a hardtop and want to install the roof vent or at least cut out the hole before the top gets painted. Regards, Bundyrum.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I believe the vent itself was the type used in the Minivan at the time. The minivan was a panel van based on the original mini, it might be possible to source one of these vents from a supplier of classic mini parts. Only a few cars had these fitted and I doubt there is a specific ‘correct’ position for its installation. Just put it where it ‘looks right’ based on photos.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I would source and get the vent before cutting the top .
I found one of the original style pop up vents on Flea Bay and will use it on my 62 Rally recreation.
I will post a Pic with dimensions later but again I wouldn’t go cutting until you have the exact vent in your possession.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Pics attached of the roof vent I found on flea bay .

Attachments

• EE84F839-2D34-432C-B9C7-3F70880D72FF.jpg
    EE84F839-2D34-432C-B9C7-3F70880D72FF.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 317
  • B3524824-F959-4898-A481-6DDB95DE6E0B.jpg
    B3524824-F959-4898-A481-6DDB95DE6E0B.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 271
  • E82013BC-407A-4850-828C-4A1AA5DECFAF.jpg
    E82013BC-407A-4850-828C-4A1AA5DECFAF.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 273
  • FD5E230E-2300-4922-92E8-52D146FE1205.jpg
    FD5E230E-2300-4922-92E8-52D146FE1205.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 292
  • 1D5ECC21-889B-452C-9214-2256A4AF02CA.jpg
    1D5ECC21-889B-452C-9214-2256A4AF02CA.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 290
  • 795AA928-30A7-4228-ADC2-DAD6D8117A9E.jpg
    795AA928-30A7-4228-ADC2-DAD6D8117A9E.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 289

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
This might help you see the correct positioning on the hardtop itself.

SMO744.jpg

OP
B

Bundyrum

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hello Healey Nut,
Thanks for going to the trouble of getting the dimensions of the roof vent for me. I have put that part of the project on hold as I need to sort out where I am going to send the trim pieces to get refurbished.
Hello Dougie,
Thanks also for the photo, I was hoping to get a shot from side on if possible. It's always good to see an ex works car in any setting.
Best regards,
Bundyrum.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Bundyrun--

If your hardtop is factory there are, I believe, furring strips between the headliner and the top to which the liner material and backing, if any, attach. Not only will you have to take them into consideration when locating the vent and its opening but you will have to create similar strips to take up the space between the top and the interior trim ring. Over and beyond this where you mount the vent is your decision.

I am attaching a pic of my car and there is 10" between the outside edge of the ring and the rubber molding for the rear window but the 100 top is several inches shorter than that for the 6-cylinder cars.

Attachments

• ventpic.jpg
    ventpic.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 289

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Good point Michael. There is a steel frame to hold the headliner. Bundyrum needs to miss the cross pieces. They are at the headliner seams. The vent should go between them. It probably would look best on the inside if it was centered between them. I don’t know if the factory rally cars had headliners, so it may not have been a consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
FWIW ... I agree with those that recommended not cutting a hole until you have the roof vent in-hand. Here are a few pics from an original Works Rally car I took in 2003 to help me place my roof vent in my Works Rally Tribute car. Hope this helps.

AH Works vent 1-19-03 007 S50.jpg

AH Works vent 1-19-03 006 S50.jpg

Happy New Year!

Cheers,
Steve

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
At the risk of taking this down a Works Roof Vent rat hole... I'll share the following.

Now at the end of the day very few people will care, so let's put this in the category of "no big deal". In fact, maybe there are even alternative opinions on this.

Here goes... when I visited Denis Welsh shop/store back in 2003, they told me that the "original Works vents" did not have the little flange at the bottom of the vent door (pic. 1 & 2). They said the originals just when straight down (pic. 3 & 4). I already had purchased the replica roof vent (pic. 1 & 2)... they had an original ... which I bought (in poor shape which I ended up spending more than the original cost to make right) (pic. 3 & 4). The final pic. 5 is the picture taken of an original Works Rally roof... also taken in 2003 at JME's shop in Leamington Spa (they have since moved).

Now is what DWM guys told me absolutely true? I have no idea. The Works may have used a later style on some of their later cars... I don't know.. I haven't seen them but that doesn't mean they couldn't have.

Pic 1 replica
AH Works Vent 2 S50 replica.jpg

Pic 2 replica
AH Works Vent 3 S50 replica.jpg

Pic 3 original

1 AH Works Vent Original 1 (1) S50.jpg

Pic 4 original
3 AH Works Vent Original 1 (4) S50.jpg

Pic 5 original
AH Works vent 1-19-03 008 S50.jpg

FWIW...

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I would say DWR are correct. The most obvious difference between the original and the replica is the number of holes for the fixing screws.

I noticed that Healey Nut's find on eBay has the "correct", if that even applies, holes on the inside mounting bracket and different holes on the outside. It has the lip on the vent door similar to the replica that I had bought. I know these were originally sourced from the parts bins of the Mini Vans at the time (Hey, we need a vent in the roof - see what's in the parts bin). But I don't know if the Mini Van roof vents changed over time... seems unlikely, but stranger things have happened. The answer to that would most likely answer the question of what the AH Works roof vents looked like at the end of their run.

Side by side pic of replica (on left) and original (on right).

AH Works Vent replica vs original S50 2160.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I noticed that Healey Nut's find on eBay has the "correct", if that even applies, holes on the inside mounting bracket and different holes on the outside. It has the lip on the vent door similar to the replica that I had bought. I know these were originally sourced from the parts bins of the Mini Vans at the time (Hey, we need a vent in the roof - see what's in the parts bin). But I don't know if the Mini Van roof vents changed over time... seems unlikely, but stranger things have happened. The answer to that would most likely answer the question of what the AH Works roof vents looked like at the end of their run.

Side by side pic of replica (on left) and original (on right).

View attachment 66693

Cheers,
Steve

i hadn’t noticed the mounting hole differences on my components. Now the dilemma is do I drill more holes in the inner plate or get my metal guy to fill the excess holes to make it look “ more original” ?

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
FWIW.... I'd fill the extra holes and use the interior mounting plate.

Steve