• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Arkansas MG Odd Lifter Wear

Arkansas MG

Freshman Member
Country flag
Technical engine question on MGTD 1952. Original 1250cc engine, replaced cam, lifters, push rods. Had head trued up, new valve guides and seats. About 5 hours of engine time I hear a hissing sound from the engine. Can not locate. Wanted to eliminate possibility of loose head bolt, so removed the rockers to inspect bolts. While having all this off, I decided to inspect the tappets on the new cam setup. All are very nice showing good spin except for one. It is beginning to show signs of no spin. Pattern of cam on the lifter. Any ideas why one wound not be spinning. Thanks a bunch.

Attachments

• MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I wonder if it is binding or if the pushrod is slightly too long?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Possibly a valve is not closing properly, adjustment is too tight. Does this happen after the engine warms up or all the time? PJ

OP
A

Arkansas MG

Freshman Member
Country flag
First, thank you for responding to my question. Second, I have been in your city of Toronto many times on business. It was always a pleasure. Liked to get in the top on the tower and look out over the area while having an evening cocktail. Now back to reality, I will measure the pushrods as I did not consider that. The valve lash on all the rockers is normal. I rechecked them several times during the break in period. and they were always proper.......thanks again I will inspect the pushrod lengths.
All the best... Arkansas MG

OP
A

Arkansas MG

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thank you for responding to my delima. Two issues, (1) the hissing sound is constant cold or warm engine. Just a slow hiss, like the sound of an air line leaking. Checked manifolds, carb mounts, ??? Sprayed engine with water mist to try and see an air trail... nothing.. so suspect it may be something internal. Second issue. is the one lifter that is not spinning. All the others show even contact while the one has the beginnings of a square pattern and sure indication the cam lobe is hitting the lifter without the lifter spinning. All the lash settings are proper for this engine, 19 thousands hot, 21 thousands cold. I will also look at the rocker involved on that particular lifter to see if it differs in any way from the others. Head, valves, springs, valve guides, lifters, cam pushrods all new. Engine only has a few hours on it.
Thanks and all the best... Arkansas MG. PS I travel OK a lot... well did before the virus.. on business... commercial insurance to the petroleum industry.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for your kinds words about Toronto - it is nice.

To elaborate a bit on my earlier comment wasn't thinking so much about lash as whether there was something literally gumming up the lifter so it can't spin - a burr or something gumming or slightly out of round or ???

In terms of the hissing I wonder if it is just the carbs? It could be a vacuum leak but, I hear a hissing on mine (the carb) which is a constant reminder of how much much more we are connected to the sounds of the car. (Example, last fall the fan clutch on my Midget went - there is a fix that involves two hose clamps that literally bind the fan clutch to the fan - it is amazing how different the engine sound is with that simple change)

Once the engine is running again, try putting your hand over the carb inputs and see if the hissing changes.

good luck!

OP
A

Arkansas MG

Freshman Member
Country flag
Good thought on the possibility of a crappy (technical term) lifter. I have ordered a new lifter to replace. Hoping the little time on the engine/cam will allow it to accept a replacement lifter. Will try the recommendation on the su carbs. I just hate to ignore a sound from the engine which has not been there before. One always hopes for the best but fears the worst. Usually anything left to itself will inherently go for bad to worse.

Back to Toronto, I do not know if they still have them, but there were downtown areas marked as Kiss & Go Stops. Designated temporary parking to allow individuals to drop off wives, husbands, boy & girl friends etc. Also the Eton Center and public transportation, all so clean and free of graffiti. It has been 25 years since I have been in Toronto... I hope it has not changed too much.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Good thought on the possibility of a crappy (technical term) lifter. I have ordered a new lifter to replace. Hoping the little time on the engine/cam will allow it to accept a replacement lifter. Will try the recommendation on the su carbs. I just hate to ignore a sound from the engine which has not been there before. One always hopes for the best but fears the worst. Usually anything left to itself will inherently go for bad to worse.

Back to Toronto, I do not know if they still have them, but there were downtown areas marked as Kiss & Go Stops. Designated temporary parking to allow individuals to drop off wives, husbands, boy & girl friends etc. Also the Eton Center and public transportation, all so clean and free of graffiti. It has been 25 years since I have been in Toronto... I hope it has not changed too much.

Good luck and please keep us posted! And yes we still have the Kiss and Ride (not Go - but close enough :smile: )

We live in the west end of Toronto and especially in the summer with the windows open listen to the streetcars go by at the top of our street - it really is an evocative sound (though not as good as it used to be as they switched to continuous ribbon rail so we don't have the click clack sound any more) The problem with Toronto for a classic car owner is that cities and old cars don't mix too well either in terms of traffic or nice places to drive.

:cheers:

OP
A

Arkansas MG

Freshman Member
Country flag
well decided to get (into) the engine looking for dastardly hiss and anything in the rockers related to the lifter. 1. Hiss... took off rockers and checked head bolts.. all torqued proper. Took off intake/exhaust manifolds .. gasket ok. Took off carbs from manifold.. all ok. 2. lifter ware... old one looked ok but for the irregular ware pattern... got new one.. installed with copious amounts of the black graphite super grease stuff and replaced rocker assembly. Will probably wait a few days and hope it heals then start up.
We are the opposite, live on 18 acres in the country. Deer in the backyard, pond, shop building etc. Five minute drive to town (14,000 population). Used to travel to New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago, Houston etc. now smaller markets.
Just remembered, which is more difficult when you are 73...there was a restaurant in Toronto "Fenton's Garden" I think.. used to frequent when there.
Ed & 1952 MG - 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
A

Arkansas MG

Freshman Member
Country flag
well decided to get (into) the engine looking for dastardly hiss and anything in the rockers related to the lifter.  1. Hiss... took off rockers and checked head bolts.. all torqued proper.  Took off intake/exhaust manifolds .. gasket ok.  Took off carbs from manifold.. all ok. 2. lifter ware... old one looked ok... got new one.. installed with copious amounts of the black graphite super grease stuff and replaced rocker assembly.  Will probably wait a few days and hope it heals then start up.<br>We are the opposite, live on 18 acres in the country.  Deer in the backyard, pond, shop building etc.  Five minute drive to town (14,000 population).  Used to travel to New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago, Houston etc. now smaller markets. <br>Just remembered, which is more difficult when you are 73...there was a restaurant in Toronto "Fenton's Garden" I think.. used to frequent when there. 

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Just remembered, which is more difficult when you are 73...there was a restaurant in Toronto "Fenton's Garden" I think.. used to frequent when there.

Googled Fenton's and got a list of former Toronto restaurants. Ah well...

fentons.JPG

crankjournal

Freshman Member
Lifter /tappet wear? Not a problem with an Abingdon Performance Ltd. Roller cam kit! (No ZDDP needed)

Attachments

• roller cam kit jewelry.jpg
    roller cam kit jewelry.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 75
  • roller lifter photo.jpg
    roller lifter photo.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 76
  • abingdon performance business card 3.jpg
    abingdon performance business card 3.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 63